Thread: Laguna 16/Meber 400 (2002) Bandsaw + Kreg Fence

Laguna 16/Meber 400 (2002) Bandsaw + Kreg Fence

I picked up a Laguna 16 / Meber 400 bandsaw for $250 and tuned it up and added a Kreg fence.

The saw runs well and has a 1.75 hp single phase motor.

I'm using Timber Wolf blades and they cut well. I can say confidently that this particular saw takes a 130 in blade (some other versions of the same model apparently use 124 in). Thanks to Suffolk Machinery for their excellent customer service.

Laguna 16 Full View.jpgLaguna Tools 16 w Kreg Fence.jpgLaguna Right Side w Dust.jpgLaguna 16 Meber 400 Motor Nameplate.jpgAdjustment screws replaced.jpg10-32 Alloy w Nylon Tip.jpg.25-20 304 ball point set screw.jpg

I bought the Kreg 14" kit, but of course it needed some modification. First, the OEM fence is designed to be removed when changing the blade, but is not a very good fence. And I had to drill and tap four holes in the edge of the table, set the fence guide, then cut a slot out of the fence guide. Worked out ok. Just don't look too close.

I found the nylon screws that come with the Kreg to be pretty bad. Very loose fit, and low quality. So I bought replacements from McMaster Carr - a 1/4-20 x 3/4 stainless ball point set screw, and a 10-32 alloy set screw with nylon tip. I put a little thread sealant on them to prevent backing out. I think this is an upgrade...time will tell.

Also changed out the OEM 4" dust ports for 2.5" ports and hooked it up to my DC.

Best deal I've heard of since covid started. Congrats.

Thanks. I think it worked out pretty well.

Nice job. You got a great deal. I have a similar saw with a few upgrades including a foot brake and larger motor. They called it the LT16 SEC. I've had it for over 20 years and it's still going strong. The only thing I'd advise is to keep an eye on belt tension. My belt will tend to slip under load if it is even a little bit too loose. But all in all, it's a very stout and capable saw.