Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water heater pilot went out-

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I put a circulating pump on my water heater and have pretty much instant hot at all the faucets. It does seem to save on the water bill as I used to have to wait 30 seconds for hot water in my bath and 45 in my wife's bath. gas usage has stayed about the same.
    Good idea for long runs. Usually combined with a timer to only recirc during times of need and you want to make sure to insulate the supply and return pipe or you will just be heating your stud cavities/joist spaces.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Good idea for long runs. Usually combined with a timer to only recirc during times of need and you want to make sure to insulate the supply and return pipe or you will just be heating your stud cavities/joist spaces.
    This is the one I got I did have it hooked up like they say but I ended up running a PEX return line with a check valve in because the way they have iy hooked up the cold water is warm until the pipes a fushed by running cold. That just defeats the saving water.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Watts-HRWS-...g-Pump/3135231

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Another problem related to the thermocouple is the clamp that holds it in place. If the screw is loose the thermocouple will not generate current as well and may cause the safety shut off to close the gas line and kill the pilot...
    This is the most likely cause--insufficiently tightened thermocouple.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."