Thread: paint for exterior door

paint for exterior door

I am building a sipo (African Mahogany) door with jambs and trim. Looking back at some threads here I am considering using Gripper for primer and SW Emerald for a topcoat. Thoughts? Is it practical to spray either one with a compressed air HVLP gravity gun?

Pretty sure it would it work. But you will want to sand the primer a bit, and Emerald levels out well. I can’t do much with spray, so I
    would be putting the door flat and brush painting .

SW has a newer version of Emerald called Emerald Rain Refresh that's supposed to keep clean just from rain hitting it. I bought a gallon last week for the shop front. No long term experience yet, but I've never had anything but good luck with their best paint, so I went with it.

That Emerald is about the same consistency as mayonnaise, so I wouldn't put much faith in anything but airless to spray it.

Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel, rated for both interior and exterior, sprays great through my pressure feed HVLP gun if thinned 10% with water. That said, it takes quite a while to cure really hard and I'd be hesitant to put it against door seals unless it can cure for several weeks first. SW has a product called Snap, I think, specifically designed for doors and it's supposed to dry very fast. I haven't used it but I'd look into it. Also, PPG Breakthrough would be another I'd look at, for the same reason.

I used SW's exterior WB primer and Reliance paint on my ash shed doors about 4 years ago. So far, it has held up great. I applied it with a brush so I have no idea about how well it sprays.

Some folks say that doors should only be painted by brush. Not sure I'm one of them, but that's how I saw exterior doors being painted for rehab work on some pretty high-end places in Boston a few years ago.

John