Thread: DeWalt 18v battery recommendations

DeWalt 18v battery recommendations

I am a relatively new user of cordless tools, having bought an 18v set a few years ago and since then added a few other tools. I have 4 off-brand aftermarket batteries that I have been using, two from when I first bought the set and two more that I bought about 18 months ago when I bought the house and had no power on site. I have used them hard, and some of them are getting a bit weak. It would be handy to have a couple more anyhow, as I keep adding tools. What I am wondering is whether I should just get the cheapest ones, or whether it's worth paying a lot more for the DeWalt ones, or if there is an aftermarket brand that is better than the others. I know these tools are pretty outdated, but they work great for me, and I am committed to keeping on using them for as long as possible. I'll be grateful for any advice.

If you mean the type that slide up into the tool, you can buy an aftermarket adapter to allow the use of the current “20v” batteries (which are sold as 18v elsewhere in the world)
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 02-05-2023 at 11:35 PM.

As Greg mentioned, the adapter may be a good option:

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dca1820/18v-20v-adapter

Just note that there are some 18V tools with which it won't work. You'll also pay a premium on the new batteries vs. generics of the 18V. But one advantage would be that if you decide to upgrade a tool and stay within the DeWalt line, you'll already have the batteries. The other is that you'll likely get longer life out of the better quality battery.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 02-06-2023 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    As Greg mentioned, the adapter may be a good option:

https://www.dewalt.com/product/dca1820/18v-20v-adapter

Just note that there are some 18V tools with which it won't work. You'll also pay a premium on the new batteries vs. generics of the 18V. But one advantage would be that if you decide to upgrade a tool and stay within the DeWalt line, you'll already have the batteries. The other is that you'll likely get longer life out of the better quality battery.
    There is a little tab of plastic that can be broken off and it will work in all that I've tried. Switching to a adapted 20V will give you a little more power too in my experience. I'm sure you void warranties by doing so but it's an old platform so they probably expired years ago. Don't modify if you aren't cognizant of and accept the risk.
    Last edited by Steve Rozmiarek; 02-06-2023 at 8:29 AM.

I have the adapter. It works well in drills. I did find the circular saw runs through the 20v battery quickly in my experience, but can’t verify that for other people. Some people have reported that the battery is hard to remove from the adapter, and it can be at times, but not a game changer. Overall I like it.