Thread: What is it? PICS

What is it? PICS

Anyone know what this is? It has "SAW-MITE" cast into the aluminum piece.
    Facebook Marketplace 008.jpgFacebook Marketplace 009.jpgFacebook Marketplace 011.jpg

Blog Entries
    Scrap metal.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

From what I find it is a miter saw system of some type. Do you mount a circular saw in some manner?

https://pugetsoundestateauctions.com...r-gauge-system

https://harmeyerauction.hibid.com/lo...nd-work-bench/

Blog Entries
    It is.... Entertaining to look at! I hope someone knows more.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Both Lloyd and Lee nailed it. It's apparently part of a miter saw system using a circular saw and since I only have part of it all goes into the scrap metal pile. Thanks all for the input.

It's a kit to turn a circular saw into a radial arm saw.
    It also came with an adapter
    for a router - according to this:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=aO...ite%22&f=false
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Rich,

Finding that magazine was certainly an interesting piece of detective work on your part.

Not sure when it’s from but the pricing for some of those objects was surprisingly high.

I guess it’s the difference when things were made here in North America by our neighbours and when manufacturing fled offshore.

Rich,

I stand in complete awe of your research capabilities!!! I was my club's Resource Director (i.e. Librarian) for 15 years and I did a lot of research for our members, but finding a part listed in an advertisement in a magazine that was almost 40 years old is INCREDIBLE! I don't know how you did it, but you deserve some serious kudos.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Blog Entries
    We have an interesting community of old tool enthusiasts. Several of whom would want that in their collection. The Missouri River Valley Steam Engine Association has a large grounds and big annual event. Quite a few members have workshops on the grounds that are also museums. Some of the clever Old Timers would get that working and put on display next to things like this.

IMG_1286.jpg IMG_1287.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice

While I'd love to be known and feared as a Google-god - finding meaningful information about saw-mite is just a couple of quote marks vs non-quoted.
    Saw-mite doesn't return much - but - Google "Saw-Mite" and the Popular Mechanic's December 1984 article appears.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon