Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finishing plywood edges for bathroom vanity

Might be that many just figure that by the time “ I put in real floor , base, and shoe moulding it will be fine” .

I was thinking the same thing...easy install when you don't have to actually fit it to the room. Any time I've installed a flooring substrate, whether a wood product or cement board, it was made to fit the room...the whole room, outside of consideration for expansion.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just looked it up. Dap Floor Patch And Leveler, is made for that gap. As I said before ,failure to fill is a code violation. We had a
    bathroom sink run-over …that’s how I discovered all this !

Hi Michael,

Try one of these:

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/iphs5-1lt

I installed one several years ago and it works quite well. I did, of course, separate the light and fan functions (ran 12-3 to the fan) and deleted the night light (installed a matching Decor unit):

https://www.legrand.us/wiring-device.../p/ntlfullwcc6

Regards,

Rick

Interesting. I can see how that would stop a splash of water, maybe even a bucket full, but if a tub or sink overflows for long it's just going to run out the door and find its way outwards and downwards.

John

John , You are right, and I’m working on that too ! Meanwhile, I don’t walk away from a filling sink ! I think there is a device sold that
    that drops and seals a door bottom. I know I saw an ad ,long time ago for such. Of course, it might be something hideous , made mostly
    for laboratory use. Current emergency water recovery is a bag of stored clean rags. The small adjoining “toilet booth” has a floor about
    1/2” lower , and I changed the the floor heat register to vertical and built it into a nice little “table”.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    IMO, people worry too much about bathrooms and water exposure. Doesn't everyone who does a bath remodel install a fan? It's code with any new house, too, I believe. There just isn't much steam or or water unless there's a real leak, and then you have problems a lot more serious than worrying about exposed plywood edges. All plywood has waterproof glue these days.

OP, your plan is more than sufficient. Those edges will never be a problem.

John
    I don't know if this is current information -SWMBO hasn't kept her Real Estate Broker's license up - but Bucks County PA. required either a bathroom fan OR an openable window. Our master bathroom, building built in 1995 doesn't have an exhaust fan, it does have a window. Other interior bathrooms with no window do all have fans. Who wants to open a bathroom window when it's 15* and windy is another question but them were the rules at the time.

For as long as I can remember it's been either/or. I always put a fan in anyway.

When I did bathrooms with showers, I built the showers pretty large and never used a curb. Bathrooms were always tiled, and the floors were laid so that if anything ran over, the water would run into the shower and go down the drain. I did that when I framed the house with a 3-1/4" power planer and a straight edge. It doesn't take much slope for it to do that but all surfaces have to be perfectly straight along the small slope. I have a Bunch of different length aluminum concrete screeds that are kept meticulously clean and safe. It was another selling point for my houses.

In the little bathroom house on our point that I'm getting ready to do for wedding rentals and such, the whole bathrooms will be tiled, even including the ceilings. Entry doors will open out completely, and have something to hold them open. The floors will be sloped so everything runs out of the door. I intend to clean them with a water hose, have big exterior rated ceiling fans, and leave the doors open with the ceiling fans running to dry them out.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-10-2023 at 5:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I don't know if this is current information -SWMBO hasn't kept her Real Estate Broker's license up - but Bucks County PA. required either a bathroom fan OR an openable window..
    Just to clarify, it's pegged to the local jurisdiction your property is in, not the county. If you're in Plumstead Twp (if memory serves)...their building/zoning organization sets the rules. For me, it's New Britain Borough.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...