Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your best guess on the UFOs we've been shooting down?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    A tiny, tiny injection of reality amongst the humor...

Bad Dad was USAF and for a time stationed at NORAD (Cheyenne Mtn); radars have been adequate for decades - having famously detected the moon rise via DEW line installations.
    A giant golf ball near Kirksville MO was part of our "I Spy" car ride game on the way to grandmas house when we were kids. I never thought much of it other than wanting to be the first to see it. Years later I learned about it from an Air Force Colonel who had been stationed there. It is a big radar and part of NORAD. He said that it could detect a fly ball in Yankee stadium. It is still there and still functioning but the base it is on is now like a ghost town. Previously 100 Airmen worked there. Now it is operated by a few Air-people and a massive computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I read a couple news reports quoting DOD saying they have a sensitivity-type filter to mask off background noise. When they turn the dials toward "more sensitive" these things show up. However, they also say it is auto dealer floppy balloons, advertising stuff per Mike Soaper's note, gangs of reflective foil party balloons my drunk frat brothers unleashed, "Lawnchair Larry" of 1982 fame; etc. Hence the filters.

Me - I'm rooting hard for the Aliens solution. There have long been three things I wanted to learn before I die - Watergate "Deepthroat" ID - got that one; Where is Jimmy Hoffa? - possible, but not likely; show me some real aliens - still got a shot.
    Well howdy Kent!! Been a long, long time. How are you my friend?

The White House stated this was not alien. So,,, you may indeed get your wish granted.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Well howdy Kent!! Been a long, long time. How are you my friend?

The White House stated this was not alien. So,,, you may indeed get your wish granted.
    Howdy back. Now, if one turns out to be an alien vehicle carrying Hoffa's remains..........
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I think some billionaire had a birthday party and the ballons just got away.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post

Atmospheric pressure at 35,000ft ASL (~analogous to airliner operating altitude) is a bit less than 1/4 of sea level pressure. So, a balloon must to be able to expand to 4X its 'launch' size, or bleed off 3/4 of its gas charge.

At 50,000ft ASL, pressure drops to ~1/9 of sea level.

Certainly possible, but the 'stretch' and/or pressure regulators required might be a bit much for a $150 Mylar advertisement?
    Malcolm, yeah, i was wondering about how those advertisement balloons would handle the gas expansion, just guessing but maybe they have a inexpensive spring loaded disk dump valve to keep the users from over inflating and rupturing the balloon?

It appears pico(small) ballooning is also a thing. This 4-6' simple balloon is said to have reached 30,000 ft

Pico Balloons by Doug and Mark - DM17 - 2019-12-26
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 02-16-2023 at 11:55 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Blog Entries
    In today's news I see speculation that the latest ones were indeed hobby balloons. Sending up a toy and a cheap camera has been a YouTube trend for a while. It is likely that hobby ballooning will be banned or regulated, if it is not already.