Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harvey Cast Iron Router Table Build

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    You mean that it's not level with the Table Saw? I did something similar. I purchased a mobile base for my table saw and then started building my router table to serve as an outfeed at the same height.... until I bought my bandsaw. Then I decided to get the base I really wanted and put that under the table saw and thereby raising it. I think if your router is a little low the wood can drop onto the Harvey top. Your shop though.
    It is only when two or four of the caster wheels are "lifted up". When all casters are release, the table is perfectly co-planer with the table saw. I have adjustable feet on the corners of the frame (as you can see).

Ouch, I know exactly what you’re thinking. I went through this same thought process. I wanted my router table to act kinda like the shaper utilizing the sliding carriage of my minimax. I spent a lot of time measuring and designing drawers around the cut outs for that crosscut table support arm. I had a lot of ideas including a triangle-ish base design (or a rectangle with a big notch out of the corner) so that that support arm could move freely. I ended up just building a big box with cut outs for the arm and dust collection port for the table saw.

At least that support table can be repurposed elsewhere.

A little further along. I completely re-created the 3 top layers under the cast iron so that I could move the top all the way to a corner edge. This allows better clearance and enables me to get the router table all the way up against the main table-saw table. Also started on the bottom storage shelf.

top_layer_redo.jpgtop_edge_redo.jpgbase_shelf.jpg

That's looking good, Aaron. I like the design of the top, too, particularly with the tee-slot design for the fence slots that also support drop-through bolt heads like my older BenchDog setup uses. Lots of flexibility there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Completed the bottom shelf for the fence storage. Just did a Tung oil finish on that. Then re-assembled the internal sections. Now I'm waiting on the Jessem motor before I can move forward with anything.

IMG_0657.jpgIMG_0674.jpgIMG_0673.jpg

Very sharp, well done

After 4-1/2 months wait and several back-order delays, I finally received my new router table mobile base. This one works excellent! It will also serve as a mobile base for the future jointer/planer.
    IMG_0782.jpg IMG_0783.jpg

I'll be finishing up this router table project in the next few weeks. Expect to have more pics soon.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 08-16-2023 at 11:32 PM.

Very nice! Those narrow format pallet jacks are harder to come by for sure. I scarfed a regular size one locally as a blemished, but brand new for "cheap" and it meets my needs, but there are many tool situations where the narrow format is best.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Very nice! Those narrow format pallet jacks are harder to come by for sure. I scarfed a regular size one locally as a blemished, but brand new for "cheap" and it meets my needs, but there are many tool situations where the narrow format is best.
    Interesting that the narrow format pallet jacks are hard to come by these days. It was suggested to my by Felder to get one for my equipment about 5 years ago, and a quick click on Northern Tool's website and one appeared. I think just a few days for delivery. They are great for moving many of our typical woodworking machines.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Interesting that the narrow format pallet jacks are hard to come by these days. It was suggested to my by Felder to get one for my equipment about 5 years ago, and a quick click on Northern Tool's website and one appeared. I think just a few days for delivery. They are great for moving many of our typical woodworking machines.
    They are around for sure...NT has them for sure. But not living in an area where they have physical stores, the shipping on a heavy item like that can be, um..."up there". It was nice picking up what I got locally with my trailer. I do not know where the OP got theirs, however.
    --

I ordered mine from Elite Metal Tools back in March. It is free shipping with a $75 liftgate fee for residential delivery:

https://www.elitemetaltools.com/tool...003?sku=161003

They are also available on Amazon now while they have stock available (since Jet received their back-ordered shipment from overseas):

https://www.amazon.com/PT-1636JA-Pal...dp/B08SPY99HR/

I really like the feel of the Jet pallet jack. The Jet pallet jack was delivered strapped down to a narrow pallet. The tiny handle pins and spring pins were in a small bag that was taped onto the main handle.
    IMG_0779.jpg

I could have gone with a Mighty Lift 16 x 48, but it was a thousand bucks and only has 2200 lbs. capacity. Not worth it.

-Aaron

Progress so far

The Jessem router motor has a proprietary connector (likely to control speed as well as monitor exact RPM). I was hoping it would be an industry standard connector like an XLR or something so that I could build an inside plug and extension. Unfortunately this is not the case:
    IMG_0789.jpg

I had to drill a 1-3/8" hole for the motor power cord. Here is the interior picture showing the motor cooling hose mounts, power cord hole and blastgate for the fence hose. I put self-adhesive foam on the back/top to help reduce noise of the motor.
    IMG_0788.jpg

I could not find a cord grommet that I liked, so I built a shutter for the power cord.
    IMG_0790.jpg IMG_0791.jpg IMG_0792.jpg

Interior showing motor with external cooling hoses:
    IMG_0793.jpg

Finished panel cover with 4" dust port:
    IMG_0795.jpg

Be back later on for more work.

-Aaron
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 08-21-2023 at 11:38 AM.

For the router-lift plate, I use the set screws on both the Harvey router table as well as the router-lift plate to align the plate height. I first installed all screws and aligned the plate height. Then removed each screw and applied loktite blue on the threads before re-inserting each set screw. Paid close attention to the height of the plate when adjusting each set screw. Plate is .000" - .001" below the table.

IMG_0824.jpg IMG_0823.jpg

Painted the exposed edges of the plywood. Cut and mounted the 2.5" dust hose for the fence (going to a blast gate on the right side). Then played with a couple bits. Did a cut with 1/2" round-over. Picture below shows a huge 1-3.8" round-over bit. The fence is stored underneath for most of the time so that the table can be used as a saw out-feed support. I love the performance of the new Jessem motor. The table and system works great!

IMG_0818.jpg IMG_0819.jpg IMG_0820.jpg IMG_0821.jpg

END OF PROJECT

Really nice final product Aaron.