Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microwave platter rotation

Microwave platter rotation

So...every morning, right after I make coffee in the automatic dripper, I put my cup into the microwave for 30 seconds, because the dripper doesn't quite get the coffee hot enough, or perhaps the coffee cup sucks some heat out of it. The platter turns exactly one full rotation for every 10 seconds, and this is why I go for 30 seconds, because the heat is roughly correct, and I don't have to reach into the back of the microwave. Because of this process, I have begun to stare through the microwave door as this process unfolds...

What I have noticed, is that some days, the rotary platter in the microwave spins clockwise and other days it spends counter clockwise. That seems really weird.

Just thought I'd share.

The microwave we have reverses direction after each heating cycle. In other words, if I heat one item it rotates CW and the next time we use it, it rotates CCW.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-14-2023 at 5:19 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Everyone I've paid attention to reverses on each use.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Thanks Mike and Ken, you two are clearly much more perceptive than I am.

So...I looked it up. Apparently, the motor will reverse direction when it senses resistance. There is a little bit of play, built in, which allows the motor a little bit of unresisted spin to get going.

Blog Entries
    We have a little glass coffee pot that we use to heat water for tea in the microwave. It seems no matter what time I set, the handle ends up in the back where I have to reach around the hot pot to take it out. Our micro wave does rotate in both directions and will auto reverse if it perceives a jam.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

After 19 years of use, ours has begun to howl a bit.

Friends microwave tray moves in a rectangular pattern. Never seen another that does that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    We have a little glass coffee pot that we use to heat water for tea in the microwave. It seems no matter what time I set, the handle ends up in the back where I have to reach around the hot pot to take it out. Our micro wave does rotate in both directions and will auto reverse if it perceives a jam.
    Lee, FWIW, we ditched the microwave for heating water for tea (and hot chocolate) and now use an electric kettle. We never had one but every family we visited in Italy used them daily. After our last trip we finally broke down and bought one - I hope I'll never have to go back to the microwave!

We got one similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CPK.../dp/B003KYSLNQ
    Heats very fast, can optionally keep water hot for that second cup. Our family chef even uses it to preheat water when cooking pasta and such since it's faster than boiling water on the stove top.

Ok, I'm done with the morning feeding around the farm - after thinking about this I'm heading up to the house to brew a mug of Earl Grey!

JKJ

OK guys, someone has to say it, it’s time to get back to the shop!🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    OK guys, someone has to say it, it’s time to get back to the shop!🤣
    Good call. I have a microwave oven, a toaster oven, small fridge, and of course, a hot/cold bottled water dispenser in my shop. Doesn’t everyone?

Out here in the Wild West we use something called an instant hot water dispenser. 190 degree water instantly with the turn of the tap. Great for tea, coffee, heating up stubborn screw caps and much more. Wife says she wouldn’t want to live without one. Can’t afford those fancy Italian products.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    Can’t afford those fancy Italian products.
    Walmart and Target carry an electric kettle for less than $20. First one we owned came from thrift store ($5.)

I run hot water into my coffee cup before I fill it. And we have our water heater set to “surface of the sun.”

I, too, have noticed that our microwave turntable reverses direction with each use.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

British kettles are generally 2,800 watts so they heat water very quickly. Brits who come to the USA are disappointed at how slow our 1,500 watt kettles are.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 02-16-2023 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott lipscomb View Post
    Thanks Mike and Ken, you two are clearly much more perceptive than I am.

So...I looked it up. Apparently, the motor will reverse direction when it senses resistance. There is a little bit of play, built in, which allows the motor a little bit of unresisted spin to get going.
    Mostly there were some years of having to stand in front of the microwave, and hit the food pellet button (30 second timer) while reheating food in the office. All because engineers can't handle making popcorn.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut