Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Siding install too high to do full length at a time??

So appreciated!!
    1. Doing sections will look like brick work and probability skewing the work.
    2. Re staging would be totally not fun!!

So I need to have a fully running length. Rent, purchase what is needed no question. It's going to take some time. And sweet equity.
    For $100 I picked up 2 jacks and one 20ft platform sweet deal. I'll be getting another 3 jacks in the morning. So other than a second platform I'm close.
    I'll be making some mobile shelf racks/safety railings. I built some siding clips for holding the hardy... Ill have to recisit the wood/resins material again, don't like breathingcement any way. Ill probably run 4 board's with pully up top. And I'll be tethered with climbing rope, "Will see how long I last with that".
    The gentalman that sold me the stuff said he only has insurance for any thing under 12 feet... a contractor. So safety is always a factor!!! I understand that in many places you can only use the aluminum jacks as they are very nice.

I'm glad I chimed in here, it's been a while since I've posted here and I appreciate all the helping info. I was not able to open any attachment photos? But I'm very appreciative.

One other question,
    Has any one bypassed trime on outside corners with aluminum end caps. They make the planks look butted together. Sounds cool, but will it look cheep?
    Thanks again guys.

Are you using the pump jacks that ride on two 2x4's fastened together? How will you be attaching the brackets at the top for those posts-off a ladder?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raul segura View Post
    One other question,
    Has any one bypassed trime on outside corners with aluminum end caps. They make the planks look butted together. Sounds cool, but will it look cheep?
    Thanks again guys.
    For the 12 inch smooth that I put up last fall I reused the galvanized steel corner caps that were present on the original Masonite from the mid 1950's. They are made from very soft steel and so heavily galvanized that I thought they were lead. Google will reveal if something similar is still available. I have not seen them for sale since the 1970's.
    Best Regards, Maurice

So appreciated!!

I'm glad I chimed in here, it's been a while since I've posted here and I appreciate all the helping info. I was not able to open any attachment photos? But I'm very appreciative.
    For as little as $6 a year you can have access to view and post photos. It's well worth it. You've already received advice worth much more than that.

I have a 40 footer to hang the hardware for the posts. Still figuring out how to attach so I can reach the peak though. I'll have extra brackets holding posts midway me thinks.

I'm thinking the corners would look nice. I Googled the corner parts..like $4 a piece. I may make my own. Hah.

On our house which we did in Hardi I used Azek corner boards. They are 5/4x10’ and we dadoed each side. Raul, you have set yourself a pretty major task working alone. Your staging has to accommodate the material as you stage it. Great care to keep the material from fouling your staging or vice versa will be required and it has to come up inside the staging I think so you can lift, set and then piece by piece mount the material. It iis one thing to get you and the material up there but you can tie yourself in knots up there without a very specific sequence of operations. By trade I’m a fitter/welder. I worked a lot of power houses and refineries years ago and always worked up top on the iron. I was comfortable there but as you gain height things get more and more complicated and while you ignore the elevation it will complicate things Look at how Tom staged that chimney job. He wanted to get the job done AND he wanted to come home safely every night. I’m not saying you can’t do the job, but I am saying you should not do this alone. If the staging is right you should still have two other people. A ground man and another as crazy as you to get the stuff on the wall. Keep count of how many times you are up and down the staging. That should be fun!

There is No Way I would be on an aluminum ladder that high working by myself with those heavy planks. Scaffolding is the way I would go, unless you want to rent a Gradall for the week end with a basket and remote controls.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Viewing attachment photos

… I was not able to open any attachment photos? But I'm very appreciative.
    If no one mentioned it yet, to view photos you have to have “Contributor” status instead of “Member” status. It’s “almost” free - just $6 per year minimum! (many donate more because of the value SMC provides.) Click the yellow Donate button at the top of screen menu. The money is what keeps this web site open!

I prefer the recurring contribution option since I never have to think about it. Paypal makes it painless.

The Contributor status also activates other useful options.

JKJ

Jack
    Understood loud and clear. If I had a choice, would be dif. Im drafting this all out in sketchup so I can see the difficult areas.. streching and questionable attachments etc. and will be doing some practice runs soon. As you mentioned the higher yiu go the more fragile the circumstance probably could be aquivilatedI to deep sea welding hah! I have till this fall to stage or chicken out. but as most of us know with age, we are not really in controll. Much respect. On the hight verses material handaling. Ill have beefy legs on the good side. Most stuff Ive done on my own.. welding, woodwork, laith work tinkering otherwise no one would let me play with them tools at a job sight. Studied Fine art.. portraiture. And bronz casting far different from how I make my bread.
    Id like to sell the place as its a bit over my pay grade. Higher tax and such would get me a two story with equal work and more payments, but less the 37ft. And beautiful trees I have...(clean gutters twice a year) and thats geting old..like me.