Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter Cable 314 Trim Saw

Blog Entries

Porter Cable 314 Trim Saw

Hi,

Is there anything current on the market like the above saw? I've looked quite a bit and I only come up w/ cheesier designs (and they are all cordless. I am not buying into another battery platform). I like the full length shoe.

I'm strongly considering getting a used one the ebay market.

HFT has a 4 1/2" trim saw in the Bauer brand (which I've had good experiences with) that's wired. On sale for $60 right now. It might be worth a look if you're use case isn't "hot and heavy every day and used hard".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rockwell makes a version of the Bauer, available at the big orange store and amazon. Good reviews and appears to have a longer warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    Rockwell makes a version of the Bauer, ...
    Well now that's ironic. Rockwell was the original maker.

I vote for the used 314. Steel housing. Worm gear drive. One of the very few tools guaranteed to be left for my wife to get rid of

I use mine a lot, especially for breaking down plywood against a straight edge, because it is light and easy to control. Get a used one. They're the best.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    I picked one up used for about $100 last year. It has paid for itself so many times . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Skil HD5510. Well made small light. I cant warm up to thin blades.

Skil HD5510.JPG

I think I bought mine in 1987 . . .

American made in Tennessee.
    Regards,

Tom

Which is better a Type 3 or Type 5. Several of both on eBay right now. If memory serves Type 3 is an earlier model and is better quality than the later production runs i.e Type 5.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Dunno the answer to that question; I have T5; no problems
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have two of them. One a Rockwell I bought new in the mid 1970's, and another much newer Porter Cable I couldn't pass up the deal on. I can't tell that one is really better than the other. I would get whichever one is in better shape.

I had a Skil 5 1/2" saw for many years that I liked pretty well. Also had a Makita 4 3/8" saw that I never liked even 'tho I'm a Makita fan- heavy, hard to control. A Porter Cable 6 1/2" saw that was a dog, but I think the arbor was bent. A little Makita 12 volt saw that could barely cut through a cedar shingle.

Nowadays, the top Makita cordless saw has high rpm & cuts plywood great, but in the shop I use a Makita worm drive (actually hypoid) saw that never goes out so it stays in tune with a sharp blade. The rear handle gives more reach to cross cut 4' plywood and the blade on the left is great for us lefties.

I would grab one of those just for fun if passed by- was aware of them back in the day, I think they came with a case.

Blog Entries
    I'm actually going to use it for scribing.

I have the cordless metabo hpt circular saw which I like a lot for the 'regular' size. Also have the Skilsaw 10.25" which I like a lot. And then, of course, I have a crappy corded saw for those concrete / brick days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    .......A Porter Cable 6 1/2" saw....
    Man. I don't need anything other than my 314, but I used to wish I had a PC 6-1/2", after they had been discontinued.

They were motor-left, so I could see what the heck I was going.

Don't need one today, now that they're all over the place cordless.

Oh, well.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.