Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I've had it with Phillips screws

I'm really hoping flat-head screws make a comeback. Barring that, I pretty much use Castle USA #7 Torx screws for anything to do with woodworking fasteners asside from light-duty stuff for drawer slides and cabinet hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I don't use Phillips screws with an impact driver. That is way too much force and will strip out the screw head. Just use a driver drill and grease the screw with some wax.

That said, I'm a huge Spax fan with impact drivers.

I find the opposite. The impact driver allows the bit to set back down into the screw head after each impact, reducing cam out.

Jay

I really like the Robertson screws too. Particularly, when I need to stick the screw on the end of the bit first when driving one horizontally.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I'm really hoping flat-head screws make a comeback. Barring that, I pretty much use Castle USA #7 Torx screws for anything to do with woodworking fasteners asside from light-duty stuff for drawer slides and cabinet hardware.
    I usually have a devil of a time driving slotted screws, either by hand or using a drill driver. I found that using a bit with sliding sleeve helped a lot.

Slotted screws suck - except when it comes time to remove them from under paint. It's not that hard to clean out the slot with a sharp skewed tool. Try that with a torx fastener or any other recessed drive. That's why old timer boatbuilders still use slotted screws.

Guess I'm abnormal - I knew that. I hate not having the right bit and still use all Phillips head, don't seem to struggle with the issues others do. Do struggle with buying them, sometimes they are hard to find in some screw types.

Slotted screws are fine, when you have a driver with parallel ground tips. The problem is, most aren't.

They also look better IMO.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Slotted screws are fine, when you have a driver with parallel ground tips. The problem is, most aren't.
    Long ago I bought a nice set, Grace tools, made for gunsmiths.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Long ago I bought a nice set, Grace tools, made for gunsmiths.
    Yea, I use mine pretty regularly. With the right size bit, the screws stick pretty well. The last people that seem to care, are indeed gunsmiths.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    I Put a new battery in Darlings timex watch last weekend. A slotted screw holds a retainer that only needed to be loosened to release the battery. I foolishly took it all of the way out. I had to spend 1/2 an hour grooming a cheap, imported, tiny screw driver on the tormek to fit the screw. I used a tiny bit of Karo sirup to stick the screw to the screwdriver. It is an absolute miracle I got it back together. My hat is off to Jewelers and Gunsmiths! The optivisor made it possible. I need a jewelers loop before I tackle the rest of the dead watches we have around.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I Put a new battery in Darlings timex watch last weekend. A slotted screw holds a retainer that only needed to be loosened to release the battery. I foolishly took it all of the way out. I had to spend 1/2 an hour grooming a cheap, imported, tiny screw driver on the tormek to fit the screw. I used a tiny bit of Karo sirup to stick the screw to the screwdriver. It is an absolute miracle I got it back together. My hat is off to Jewelers and Gunsmiths! The optivisor made it possible. I need a jewelers loop before I tackle the rest of the dead watches we have around.
    I put a small rare earth magnet on the screwdriver shaft for jobs like that.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I put a small rare earth magnet on the screwdriver shaft for jobs like that.
    Good advice! I should have checked for magnetism. It is one of those Timex's that boasts "all stainless steel". Some stainless is magnetic, some is not. I tried to clean the Karyo syrup with a Q-Tip and isopropyl. I bet it will lead to corrosion.
    40th anniversary this May. Gold is in order.
    Best Regards, Maurice