Thread: Delta 46-460

Delta 46-460

I am looking at a delta 46-460 in an estate sale is $350 a fair price ?

2. Quote Originally Posted by robert patrick View Post
    I am looking at a delta 46-460 in an estate sale is $350 a fair price ?
    I paid $699 for mine new. Is it in good shape? Can you give it a test run? It is a fair deal, and if it’s in good shape, likely not a risk. Make sure the fwd/rev switch and the power switch work well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Everything checks out. Thanks for the info.

They are notorious for having problems with the reverse switch and the control board. Replacement of the control board costs about $250.

Version one had switch problems. I have had my version 2 for more than a dozen years and it has been a joy to own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hunkele View Post
    Version one had switch problems. I have had my version 2 for more than a dozen years and it has been a joy to own.
    That version one problem was the switch breaking off the head during shipping. Amazon got so many back they stopped selling them. Version 2 moved the switch. For a while people were burning up the control board and there were no replacement parts. Finally Delta got parts but it is close to half the price of the lathe. There are some machines out there with an aftermarket controller on them, and some got sold for parts. I too own one with no issues, but I never turn bowls on it. That was the suspected issue with the lathe when owners overloaded the machine turning as large of bowls as possible.

How do know if it is version 1or 2 ?

Type 1 has the switch mounted on the back of the head stock.

Thanks. It is a type two.