Thread: Black Ash

Black Ash

I tried doing a search and couldn't get what I wanted ...so here it goes.

Has anyone used black ash in a project?

Does it hold up well? Looking at maybe some keepsake or jewelry boxes.

What did you use for contrasting wood?

How did you finish it? Pictures?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

What do you mean by hold up well? Any wood works for a keepsake box unless you throw it around. You finish ash like you finish red oak or any ring porous wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    What do you mean by hold up well? Any wood works for a keepsake box unless you throw it around. You finish ash like you finish red oak or any ring porous wood.
    I guess what I mean is did the wood warp or for lack of better terms delaminate.

I know that black ash was used for basket weaving because it could be split with the growth rings into thin pieces.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    Beating fresh, black AKA brown ash with a sledge hammer is a method for creating weaving splits. Another thing on my list of things I hope to try. If you do not beat it it is a nice normal wood.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-25-2023 at 7:38 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Beating fresh, black AKA brown ash with a sledge hammer is a method for creating weaving splits. Another thing on my list of things I hope to try. If you do not beat it it is a nice normal wood.
    Better hurry up, black ash is disappearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I guess what I mean is did the wood warp or for lack of better terms delaminate.

I know that black ash was used for basket weaving because it could be split with the growth rings into thin pieces.
    All wood can warp and non of it just falls apart sitting around.

I have black ash as shelves in a large bookcase. It is quite strong and is holding a lot of weight without bowing. It looks a lot like oaks , especially when flatsawn.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    There is a nice stand on the in-laws 4th generation property in NH. I enjoyed reading the folklore that surrounds the authentic pack basket. That was 45 years ago. I guess I will think about conservation plans before I go cutting one down. If I remember the process correctly it starts with a small green log.
    Best Regards, Maurice