Thread: Just picked up this beauty

Just picked up this beauty

Arrived a couple of days ago ! Can't wait to make some shavings with it !

LNbox.jpgLNopen.jpg
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Blog Entries
    Looking forward to some pictures of nice fluffy curls of shavings.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice. I’d like to have a 5 1/2 but I’m afraid it would never get used considering the projects I take on. I used to have a #6 and it was a super effective dust collector.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I use my 5 1/2 all the time. Chose it instead of a #5. Ordered it with a 50* frog so I could interchange it with the 45* frog on my #7. Then on a whim I bought a toothed blade when LN was still offering it, which surprisingly gets used fairly often.

I saw it as having the best of both worlds in one plane. Don't really need a jointer (famous last words right) but it can to the trick with a longer sole. but also able to flush dovetails, I have a few block planed and a #4 I refurbished as LN scraper plane and beading plane. So this made sense. I looked at wood river and Lee Valley/Veritas and the LN while slightly more $ just seemed to be the choice. hopefully i get to fiddle with it this weekend.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    I saw it as having the best of both worlds in one plane. Don't really need a jointer (famous last words right) but it can to the trick with a longer sole. but also able to flush dovetails, I have a few block planed and a #4 I refurbished as LN scraper plane and beading plane. So this made sense. I looked at wood river and Lee Valley/Veritas and the LN while slightly more $ just seemed to be the choice. hopefully i get to fiddle with it this weekend.
    I already have a #3, #4, #4 1/2, #5, #62, and #7. The #5 has a roughing and standard blade. With the roughing blade it’s like a monster scrub plane. The #62 has a toothed blade plus two standard blades with a 25 and 40 degree grind respectively. It’s my squirrelly grain plane. I’ve got all the bases pretty much covered.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

PXL_20230423_195136032.jpgPXL_20230423_195446810.jpg

So I finally got some time to make some curlies ! Man this thing cuts like it was a hot knife through butter on this hard maple.
    I had to clean up some tool marks froma rip cut this is for my Moxen Vise.