Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many tools....

Too many tools....

too soon?

Does anyone ever think that one can get too many tools too early in the woodworking hobby? Sure, more tools are nice as you can do more things. But, as you're learning, couldn't it be a little dampening on one's creative problem solving skills to have enough machinery and hand tools to skin a cat 24 different ways? It seems as though this could also overwhelm the beginner with deciding the best method to get the task completed.

My thought is that when I had only a table saw and a router table, I made several projects that are of pretty good quality. And the quality improved with each project, not necessarily each tool I've added. In a way, I feel I've spent so much time in the past year or two acquiring the best tools that I've lost momentum in developing the more essential skills.

Does anyone have any thoughts and/or experiences that may relate to this?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

I think there is really some validity to what you're saying. When I first started woodworking about 6 or 7 years ago, I had a very small shop (maybe 8x10) in my basement. And my tools were limited. While I would occasionally find a need for a new tool as a new project began, I still had limits. So, for example, since I didn't have a nice router table, I was forced to make strips of molding while sitting on the floor and running the stock through a small portable router table (lucky to still have all 10 after that one). The other thing I found was I built alot of jigs. Didn't have a drillpress yet, so I had to create ways of being accurate using the old Makita cordless.

I remember building several projects in that period that were my best work to date. Sometimes less is more. And the experience and skills will last forever!

I don't think you need to be minimalist, but having too many tools available before you are able to learn what you have can and cannot do isn't the most desirable thing. It's an experiencial thing. I do think equipping a shop with the essential work triangle and a few other things is a good idea, but there is no reason to buy the more esoteric tools or things you have minimal use for until you actually have a project that really needs them. The TS, J and P are the heart of a woodworking shop, at least in the traditional sense. These three let you mill lumber flat, straight and true, and to thickness, length and width. A router lets you profile wood.

And in the case of constrained space, there are newer tools/methods that can do a lot with more flexiblity. (Guided saw/router systems, for example)

Do take the time to practice with each tool/machine so you fully understand what it can and cannot do as well as to develop a feel for working with it. That's a safety issue, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt,

Being somewhat new on the scene myself, (a little over a year) I am afraid I have to agree with you on this. I spent the better part of the previous year aquiring my tools and setting up shop. I am hoping to balance things out now and use the upcoming year in learning to use each tool effectively and start making some projects to show for all of this.

I think that there is a baseline around where Jim says. I suspect that many people would improve their skills and abilities more by then spending some money on good timber, make some nice projects, and develop the better use of those base tools, rather than spending every available dollar on the next whizzbang machine but not having enough left to buy quality timber and get the feel of the material. It is all too easy to develop shopitis where having the best equipped shop becomes an end in itself.

I know I did that, and then spent a lot of money upgrading tools or sold off things I just never used.

I have always designed around the tools in the shop....if I don't have a tool for a project , I buy it or figure a way to use what I have. Many guys never take the time to learn to use the stuff they have well...The woodworking shows are full of gagets you really don't need it is a big mistake to just rely on gagets.....Most projects break down to very basic tasks that are used over and over....Joinery, resawing, breking down stock, preparing stock, gluing, sanding or planning. Jim B. is making the point that the essential tools are key and that is true. Using hand tools well is another important component to woodworking....Put it all together and you have a good foundation. Then you can add tools as you need them...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

much agreement here - there is this list of "wanted tools" - and always on the lookout for a great deal - but there comes a time when i feel i am not using the tools i have to their full potential (often times hand tools) and i really stop myself and focus in on learning more about what's already in the shop. making myself push the relationship between my skills and the tool's performing purpose.

maybe handplanes - shaper jigs - dovetail saw - even bandsaw techniques. once i do that i really find it pretty satisfying. and then in fact some of the tools on that list seem to drop off - or at least end up at the end of the line.

jerry
    jerry

I have a lot of tools that I rarely use and I run a home based business however they are there when I need them and I am thankful for that.

However five years ago when I switched from cabinetry to picture frames and crafts, I sold off a lot of equipment. After my shop reno this Christmas, I placed an ad in the local buy and sell as I once again had 9 items that I really don't need, are duplicates or I wanted to upgrade into something different.

I am of the mind for those starting out to buy the tools for the job, buying tools can cost you a lot of money fast, I have been acquiring tools for the past 20 years, when I sit and look around the shop it's scary the $$$ tied up.

Andy

You are correct.

I have acquired a LOT of tools over the last two years and my guess is that I only use about 2/3 of my new tools on a regular basis. In particular, I don't use my band saw or my scroll saw very much. I need to spend time getting more skilled with both of them.

Thumbs down I know what you mean

i was so blessed to start off with a hand axe and a bucket of used bent nails.

Thanks for the feedback fellas!! I've been looking in my shop recently and wondered "where did all these tools come from?" For me, it's not so much the dollars as some were very inexpensive at auctions. In the last 6 months, I've added a jointer, planer, 24" scrollsaw($20 at an auction), dust collector, a few measuring paraphenelia, and about 2600 BF of lumber. So, for getting started in my new shop at the new house, it feels a little overwhelming.

I think what it comes down to is just kicking myself in the rear and build something, anything to get the wheels in motion. Oh yeah, and then I fell into the creek and that cuts into the shop/family time as well.

Thanks again and, oh yeah, I forgot to thank you for the friendly welcome that was doled out last month.

Matt

I got along for years using hand held power tools and other hand tools only (Circ Saw, jig saw, hand sander and hand held drills). I was able to accomplish an awful lot with these tools. I slowly aquired a CMS, table saw, and band saw and will eventualy get a Jointer and planer only to give me more freedom in selecting the raw material I plan to use. Am I limited in what I can make.? No. Will the additions to my tools collection make my job easier? You bet but I definitly am not a tool junkey nor am I limited in what can make.
    When I buy tools now I look at what I can do with it to make the tasks I have done before easier and better. I never spend the money just to buy a tool. I may some day add a shaper to my collection but for now I fiind that my router does everything I ask of it. Would a jointer do a better job? Yes. Do I need a shaper? NO. Id rather spend the money buying some figured maple or maybe some cherry or walnut.

When I first started woodworking 20 years ago I don't think I necessarily bought to many tools, but to many tools that I didn't use because they were just not good enough quality. I should have focused on the basics and bought better when I could afford it instead of outfitting my shop with every benchtop jr. to the full sized tools. Some worked others didnt. Those that didn't like the benchtop jointer and bandsaw I got rid of. A year ago, I set out to upgrade my shop I bought new tools but I consider most of them essentials, good table saw (Delta CS, good router table (BenchDog and router inside (Dewalt 625) Hand Held Router (Dewalt DW618 PK) and Bosch 1591 Jig saw. All quality tools but not gadgety type tools. I do not have a bandsaw or a jointer, just don't have the room and not interested in mini versions. My drill press was a good purchase 20 years ago, still using it. Anyway, that is my story

Corey

I think most beginning woodworkers would be best served to only purchase tools when they're needed. In other words, don't purchase a Stanley #7 plane until you find that you really need it.

Some tools are essential, like a table saw, but I started with a Craftsman TS that was given to me. I had to buy a motor and tune it up, but when I finished, I knew how the saw worked and how to set it up properly.

I bought low cost tools to start and don't regret it. I learned on the cheap tools and upgraded when I could tell that they were not as good as they should be. I sold the cheap tools on EBay and got most of my money back - people pay way too much on EBay for tools.

My advice to beginning woodworkers is "Work Wood". Find a simple project and build it. You'll discover what tools you need as you go along.

Mike