Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too many tools....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    I agree with Frank here.

I come here to share what little I know, or to learn something I do not know. To talk, so to speak, and to read.

Take care, Mike
    well written mike! exactly why i participate. tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

2. It's kind of funny...

For me anyway it seems that most of the tools I just "had to have", I do not use. I wanted a hollow chisel mortiser so bad a few years ago, and yet I think I have used it once, maybe twice. The same thing goes for a dovetailing router jig, and a dozen other gadget examples.

The thing is, I found I was more content toiling away in my shop chopping mortises and dovetails by hand then I ever was listening to screaming machines. I know everyone is not like that, and that's fine, but before you open your wallet, a woodworker, new or experienced, should find out what motivates them to walk out into their shop in the first place.

If that walk is motivated by the production of a dozen cabinets every year, then by all means search for that dovetailing jig, find that 3 horse power router and buy an expensive biscuit joiner. You certainly will be able to justify the purchases.

Me on the other hand, well I work in the railroad industry, where every task is dictated by time. For that reason, taking that walk out into my workshop means I won't be looking at my watch for awhile. It's a true retreat, so I'll take my chisel and be mesmorized by a finly honed chisel severing wood fibers as I make that mortise.

When you find out what makes you step into your shop, then and only then will you be able to make intelligent woodworking tool purchases.

Too many or Not too many, that is the question

Shakespeare would have loved this one, and as a newer hoobyist (less than two years) I can say that although I've bought more tools than I need, I do have the willpower to wait until I need something the second time around before seriously thinking of purchasing it. If the job requires something I don't have and my research shows how much time/space/energy I can save by having said tool, then I jump in. My recent purchase of an 8" jointer has reduced my sanding time by upwards of 80%.
    That said, I like having tools ready to use, and have thought of tackling bigger and tougher projects as my collection has increased. My most recent accomplishment, a mission style computer desk, would have stayed on the drawing board without the jointer and a mortising machine (seventeen spindles times two [top and bottom] times three [two ends and one middle section] equals a boatload of mortises!) See photo of desk at. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...5&d=1143645564
    Trees. Tools. Time.

It depends....

I'm a newbe to woodworking, but not to doing projects and working with tools. I know that you can sometimes get along with less, but having the right tool can make the job simplier and sometimes less stressful to complete. If you have decided you are going to do this thing...WW..it also makes sense, IMO, to take advantage of sales for things you need or want now because you feel it will help.

I bought a new Delta 10" contractors saw, when I already had a Rockwell 9"...old and a bit of a pain working with the old fence and gauge. I could have "updated" just them, but I felt in the near future I would want a more accurate, powerful, larger, smoother saw. Amazon had a deal on a Delta 36-680 that, with free shipping and a $150 rebate (I got today), it ended up at $429! (now $579) My Makita planer was $337 with free shipping and a $75 rebate (now $429). My Bosch 1617EVSPKE, with over $100 of accessories added, was $145 (now $218 for just the router and fixed/plunge base. My PC 557 plate jointer was $127 with $30 rebate and 1000 biscuits (now $199)... Sometimes, it's worth it to get some tools sooner than you really have to have them because they are on a super sale, and you can begin to use/learn them right away.

I have posted equipment gloats, but few "finished job" posts, but doesn't mean that I'm just "collecting tools". I have installed new wood flooring under the kitchen sink, built a shelf for under the sink in the master bath, built food bowl stands for our dogs, 2 step stools, a towel/mat drying rack, a lattice privacy curtain, a spice rack, and some jigs for the shop...using all the tools (except the TS which I'm still doing some modifications on).

For some novices (myself at least), it can be a bit embarrasing posting pics of simple WW projects, after seeing some of the awesome things other members here build. Real heirloom works of art.... But, I will get there, I'm sure. Just a few more tools and a few more years experience...and a lot of advice from all the great members here!.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Koch; 05-07-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    Just read all the gloating to goes on about the tools they bought.

Compare that to the number of post with photos of what they built.

Speaks for itself I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Do you really think that there are more of the former? I don't.
    As a bit of a check on this, I reviewed the list of the threads that I have started here on Saw Mill Creek.

12 of those threads were gloats/reviews about tools.

32 threads were about something I had built or was in the process of building.

98 were about something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    As a bit of a check on this, I reviewed the list of the threads that I have started here on Saw Mill Creek.

12 of those threads were gloats/reviews about tools.

32 threads were about something I had built or was in the process of building.

98 were about something else.
    I think SMC is the exception and I should have said that up front. I read a couple of others forums and it seems there is more excitement about tool collecting than tool usage. HEY, maybe I am wrong. But it seems that way to me.

Again, SMC is the exception. I have no idea why but the attitude/people here are MUCH different than the other groups I read. Thats a good thing too!

7. Hi, my name is Randy, and I'm a toolaholic.

While I don't have a bunch of expensive hand tools (my one extravagance in that area the LV shoulder plane), I have been in the process of upgrading my larger machinery in the past couple of years. From a contractors saw to a 1965 model General 350 cabinet saw, my 6" jointer to an 8" DJ-20, my 14" bandsaw to a MM16, my cheapo drill press to a new Delta 16 1/2". Ironically, the first serious WW tool I ever bought, and is largely repsonsible for my entry into amateur WW, I have no intention of upgrading. That is my MAkita SCMS.

I like having great tools, and do not feel much remorse about not having enough time to use them a lot. WW is my hobby, and the tools are a big part of it.

As well, I am accumulating them now in prep for early retirement, while I can afford to do so. Dropping 2 grand on a bandsaw, for example, may not be so easy to do when I am not working. Right now, no problem. And the tools will last a lifetime.

Cheers

Randy
    Cheers
    Randy

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Blasphemer !!! Infidel!!!
    How can you utter those sacrilegious words. "Too many tools."

Can we just say:
    1. That tool was not suited for the job at hand.
    2. I selected wrong!
    3. I have out groan this tool!
    4. The manufacturer should be shot.
    5. I learned a valuable lesson from this tool.
    6. I kept the parts people in business.
    7. The Tool is too advanced for me.
    But never "Too many tools."
    Some of the entry level items, are rights of passage. Design to cull out the weak of heart.
    You have to know poor, before you can appreciate quality.
    You learn after many attempts that "It's a start, now let's get down to business"

I know hi performance boats, skis, and snow boards will frustrate and beat down the beginner as with many tools
    Too much power, too many adjustments.
    WW like anything else is a developed skill and some of that education fro making mistakes
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

had to reply to this one

I put off having a shop for 30 years, just set up in each new house I built,
    and about a year and a half ago, I fixed up a building and bought all new
    machines. I gave away my old craftsman table saw and jointer, and used
    Sawmill Creek for advice on buying my machines. I appreciate all the advice I received. Wound up buying much better quality than I had planned. Unisaw with biesemeyer, 10" Oliver Jointer, woodmaster planer
    molder, and a MM 16. Don't use the MM as much as I had planned, but
    it sure is nice when I need it. Hate rattly old junk bandsaws. Now, having gotten disgusted with sawyers, ordered my own MP 32 Cooks
    Bandmill. And no I'm not sorry. Jim

Matt M. and Matt W.:

Great points!

I have tools that I haven't time to know how they work.

This is a disease akin to women and shoes! (No letters, Ladies!)

All is not lost--like you, I have friends downstream tha can use my unwise purchases.

The good news is I'm learning almost every day!

BILL