Thread: Please assist with identity and age of this unique planning machine.

Please assist with identity and age of this unique planning machine.

This planer is constructed of cast iron, it has a suare cutterrhead shaft with two 12inch blades and an outboard curved planning facility.
    The cuterhead shaft runs on bronze bearings that are lubricated with oil held in the square oiler above the shaft.
    Please see the attached photos.IMG_6248.jpgIMG_6249.jpg003.jpg

Location? Take off one bolt or screw and see if it is metric or English threads. In the USA that would be called a jointer.
    Bill D

Don’t know who made it, but I’m sure they did a good job …even if they did go over budget. I’ve used a lot of that stuff in employments.
    The drive belts went through the floor. I wonder if somebody just ground off all the cast on lettering. I’ve heard of places doing that
    “ for liability reasons”. That was the only answer I got.

Is that lettering on the back of the fence? Can't tell.... I'd start over at OWWM.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I heard of a blade going through a roof once off of a square cutterhead. I'd never run a square cutterhead. They did away with that design for good reason.

Blog Entries
    I have not searched on Google by image but I did look at a few hundred "Antique Jointers" and "Old Jointers" in Google Images, I do not see any like it. I would guess it to be post 1900 pre 1940. I wonder if the slot on the edge of the bed is for a saw blade to poke through?
    Best Regards, Maurice

As has been suggested OWWM or Vintage websites. Looks like an old line shaft machine. So Maurice's age range seems reasonable. Strange there isn't any identifying marks on it anywhere. Someone went to a lot of trouble to eliminate them. The brand was always prominently displayed so there was no doubt what make it was. Seems like short infeed and outfeed for an old machine.

All cutterheads are dangerous , I think I’ve used every type. Never seen any with defects , until a dumb-bell foreman let someone
    with no knowledge of ‘how stuff works’ cut their fingers off ,or fire off high-speed steel into someone else. Square-heads made low
    RPM machines run fast !