Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So here's a dumb problem: where to get a trailer hitch for my Escalade?

So here's a dumb problem: where to get a trailer hitch for my Escalade?

I've mentioned in a post or two that I've recently bought a 2013 Cadillac Escalade, Platinum version. I absolutely LOVE the thing!
    escalade.jpg
    Wanted to get one a few years ago but we didn't really have a NEED for it. But, my trusty $1300 '03 Chevy Venture van with well over 200k miles, totally trouble-free for 7 years, suddenly developed some nasty electric issues-- like, the heater fan knob wouldn't turn one morning, followed by the headlights just coming on whenever they felt like it... To fix that nonsense would cost more than I paid for it!

Hey, now I have a need! So I got me one! But I also NEED to tow stuff with it! That hump in the middle of the rear bumper, that's the hitch receiver cover...

Problem is, there's no hitch/receiver UNDER the cover!

So I've been looking online for one... But-- I can't seem to find one!

Below, a link to an eBay page titled Trailer Hitches for 2013 Cadillac Escalade-
    https://www.ebay.com/b/Trailer-Hitch...ACAR_AND_TRUCK

And below, eTrailer.com's search results-
    https://www.etrailer.com/vehicle/2013/Cadillac/Escalade

The ONLY receiver I can find on either of these entire websites, is for the FRONT-- !

(I'd like to avoid dealers, but looks like maybe not)...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Isn't that an option that should have been ordered with the vehicle?

One site says it is currently unavailable.

Do all escalades have tow package?
    The Heavy Duty Trailering Package (production code ZM1) is normally offered on the 2023 Cadillac Escalade Premium Luxury, Sport, Premium Luxury Platinum, Sport Platinum and Escalade-V trims. It is not offered at all on the base Luxury trim.Aug 25, 2022

2023 Cadillac Escalade Trailering Package Currently Unavailable
    https://cadillacsociety.com/2022/08/...y-unavailable/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm looking for a 10-year-older one -- been searching since I posted this about 20 minutes ago, nothing...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Have you tried talking to a Cadillac dealership? I bought a used F-350 4WD, installed a 5th wheel hitch on it and towed a 23' 5th wheel RV with it. I bought a new Honda Pilot and had the dealership install a trailer hitch on it. A dealership might have one made for that vehicle.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ask U-haul or go to the wrecking yard.
    The ebay add below says 2008-2014 will fit. Also check other gm makes
    Bill D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27520371873...temCondition=4
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-02-2023 at 11:36 PM.

It will be the same hitch on a GMC Yukon or Chevrolet Suburban/Tahoe. As Bill said check salvage yards. I did a quick check and Autozone had one listed. It's also probably the same as the 1500 series Silverado and Sierra.

I would crawl under the rear end and see if there are holes in the frame where a hitch could be installed. I believe holes would be there if it would take a hitch frame

Well, now I feel dumb as a box of rocks-- I swear, the other day when I looked behind the bumper, I couldn't find, what I thought anyway, anything resembling an actual receiver under there.

So I just went out with a flashlight, in the dark, and lo and behold, I find there's a 2"-ish hole in 'the frame' I didn't notice before! facepalm.gif (must've needed the flashlight I guess!)
    receiver.jpg

receiver2.jpg

Guess that explains why there ain't any hitches for sale! --Seems I shoulda just took off the cover in the first place!

So, on the bright side, I guess I can add what I DIDN'T have to spend on a new receiver to my 'now I have that much extra cash to go blow on something else!' kitty!
    (I'm thinking the wifey won't go for that one)

It's true... gettin' old ain't for sissy's...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Location? Seventy miles from me. No idea if it has the hitch.
    They give three models escalade, escalade ext and escalade hybrid
    Bill D

https://www.picknpull.com/check-inve...FK23219R229769

Caveat: I know less than nothing about that vehicle.

Maybe a crazy idea but if you can’t find one ready made to fit you could make one (if you are good at metal fab or have someone make one. They are basically strong steel frames and those I’m familiar with are made to bolt on. If I wanted to make one I’d try to find someone with a factory hitch and ask if I could crawl under with some measuring tools.

You might find one on the same or similar vehicle at a junk yard. (parts are usually significantly cheaper if you jack up the car and crawl in the mud to take them off the vehicle yourself.) If the dealer is nice and you ask nicely they might even tell you which models have interchangeable hitch frame.

But there may be more to it than the hitch, depending on what you need to tow. Besides the obvious wiring for lights (easy and cheap) you may need to add a break controller (easy), beef up the suspension ($$$), and if towing heavy loads for long distance or in the mountains the engine might need an engine oil cooler (hard and $$$). When I order a new vehicle the necessary things are included with the towing package.

If your towing needs are minimal U-Haul used to rent simple universal hitches. I rented one and a trailer in the early 70’s to move all our stuff from Iowa to Rhode Island then again later to North Carolina and eventually to TN. Again, I know nothing about that vehicle or if using such a hitch is even possible. Might not hurt to ask, who knows, U-Haul might even sell a hitch.

Also, I hired a company named Line-X to put a gooseneck hitch and wiring in my diesel truck. They do all kinds of custom work,

JKJ

My Ford ranger I went to the wrecking yard and unbolted one and took it home. I think it was four big bolts. Reuse those special high strength bolts do not use new hardware store bolts. About a one inch socket and long breaker bar. Nuts might be welded or clipped to the frame. I think I only needed one wrench not a back up one as well.
    If too tight you can jack the truck up by the wrench handle in the loosen direction.
    Get the wire harness while you are there. Look for the brake adapter harness under the dash.
    Bill D.

Looks just like my 2007 Escalade, thought they were pretty much standard on all Suburbans, Yukons and Escalades.

Orlando to Moab, UT.

Folks go back to #8 he already has one installed and it looks to be a good heavy one!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I see Rock Auto sells them

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I see Rock Auto sells them
    Hello? from Kevs's post #8

So I just went out with a flashlight, in the dark, and lo and behold, I find there's a 2"-ish hole in 'the frame' I didn't notice before! Name: facepalm.gif
    Views: 57
    Size: 2.8 KB (must've needed the flashlight I guess!)
    Click image for larger version.

Name: receiver.jpg
    Views: 19
    Size: 149.1 KB
    ID: 496752

Click image for larger version.

Name: receiver2.jpg
    Views: 27
    Size: 97.2 KB
    ID: 496753

Guess that explains why there ain't any hitches for sale! --Seems I shoulda just took off the cover in the first place!

Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10