Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet JWP-15CS Knife Setting

Question Jet JWP-15CS Knife Setting

A while back I purchased a Jet JWP-15CS 15" planer with straight blades that were in good shape. They are no longer in good shape, but instead are in need of being changed. I have the manual and it calls for the use of a knife setting jig, which I do not have. On my G0490 jointer, I do not use the blade setting jig that came with the machine, but instead an aftermarket jig that aligns the knives with the outfeed table. I vaguely know what the knife setting jig should look like. Questions to the team.

Is there another brand and model that uses a jig with the same settings as the JWP-15CS that is available for purchase (*ahem* Grizzly *ahem*)?

Is there an alternate knife setting jig you prefer and suggest, and why?

How will I be able to tell if the blades are set correctly?

There are many magnetic jigs for setting planer knives. If you are handy with metal working, you can make your own. Check out Bob Vaughn's video on planer knife setting. He shows how to make a dial indicator jig to set knives
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-03-2023 at 9:58 PM.

The little magnetic micrometer things work fine for 15" planers. I set jointer knives with a strip of wood in about 30 seconds each, but use those for the small planers. Amana used to sell a good set, but the cheap knockoffs work fine. I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos.

I saw those. I like the fact they are adjustable. But on the other hand, I don't know what they should be adjusted to or how to tell if the blades are adjusted correctly.

Sometimes the sharpening machines get worn out and and don’t make a straight line. Don’t try to spring them straight, find a another
    sharpener.

That's good advice. At this point I wouldn't notice since I don't know what the reference is (ie., how to tell if they are set properly). The only reference I have (or don't have) is the fixed height knife setting jig.

It's probably not as convenient but you can set the blades with a dial indicator as well. There are numerous planer knife jigs on Amazon as well. I have a PM 15 planer and I put a Byrd Shelix in it. The blades were dull when I bought it and I never had any desire to deal with replacing them. I don't know what's involved on yours but something to consider looking ahead.

Check the reading on the best looking outside corner you can find and try that. They don't usually get much wear out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    It's probably not as convenient but you can set the blades with a dial indicator as well. There are numerous planer knife jigs on Amazon as well. I have a PM 15 planer and I put a Byrd Shelix in it. The blades were dull when I bought it and I never had any desire to deal with replacing them. I don't know what's involved on yours but something to consider looking ahead.
    Already being considered. I like to send two sets to be sharpened at once. That means $90 for another set of blades (have 2 like to have 3 based on experience from my jointer) and $34 per set to have them sharpened. If I do the swap on my planer, then I want to get the same head for my jointer at the same time, so that means dropping $1800-$2k on heads. That's a tough sell. In the meantime, I am basically without a planer. So I need to add $50 to buying a knife setting jig just to get back up and running. $90+$50+$34=$174 right now to get running. Maybe I should be buying the new head right now! Then that starts the whole opther discussion. Which carbide insert head? I have found four different designs (ie., insert patterns); helical, v-helical, spiral, and shelix.

Maybe someone near me has a 15" Jet knife setting jig I can borrow for a day?
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 03-04-2023 at 10:37 AM.

Mine was a little less common head so the Grizzly branded head wasn't and option. I highly recommend checking MyWoodcutters.com as a vendor. The pleasant surprise was that I ordered on Monday and had it in my hands on Friday. Shipped directly from Byrd. They projected 3-4 weeks when I reached out to them. Always nice when it comes much quicker. Since the immediate need is the planer I would probably just do it initially but that's my opinion only. My jointer is a Jet with a Grizzly on it. Zero issues with it as well. There are probably some YouTube videos on changing the head. There were none for mine and it was actually pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post

Maybe someone near me has a 15" Jet knife setting jig I can borrow for a day?
    Again, check out Bob Vaughn's video on making your own knife setting jig. It could probably be made in less than an hour. For the dial indicator, get an AGD-1, not AGD-2. From Amazon, or Ebay, should set you back around $25. This way, in the future, you will have your own knife setting jig.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 03-04-2023 at 5:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Again, check out Bob Vaughn's video on making your own knife setting jig. It could probably be made in less than an hour. For the dial indicator, get an AGD-1, not AGD-2. From Amazon, or Ebay, should set you back around $25. This way, in the future, you will have your own knife setting jig.
    Why would I bother making one if I switch to a carbide insert head? I only need to borrow one to get the planer usable with the set of knives I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Why would I bother making one if I switch to a carbide insert head? I only need to borrow one to get the planer usable with the set of knives I have.
    WHY? Read your own post about wanting THREE SETS of KNIVES. Each time you change them, do you intend to borrow a setting jig?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    WHY? Read your own post about wanting THREE SETS of KNIVES. Each time you change them, do you intend to borrow a setting jig?
    Did you miss the smiley after the "borrow" phrase you mention?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Admittedly this doesn't answer your immediate need for a setting jig.

But if you're thinking about the long term options, and you are ok with sticking to knives, might also be worth looking at Dispozablade. You could upgrade both your jointer and planer for a fraction of the cost of getting insert heads. It will simplify the knife setting, and as a bonus, they're double sided knives.