Thread: Thermal Overload Burners for Northfield Planer

Thermal Overload Burners for Northfield Planer

Hi Folks,

Some may recall that I a Northfield 18 inch planer and replaced feed roller bearings a few weeks back.

It originally was wired for 440 volts, and I needed to rewire both motors to run at 240 volts and I run it off a 7.5 hp rotary phase converter.

The problem that I have now is that the right thermal protector as shown in the thermal protector photo, trips after 10 minutes or so and then needs to be reset.
    I am thinking that by cutting the voltage and thus increasing the amperage, that thermal heaters are sized incorrectly for the amperage.
    I put a meter on the cutterhead motor leads and got readings of 7.3, 5.2, and 6.6 amps. I also got 2.1, 1.9, and 1.9 amps on the drive motor. I have included photos of the two motor tags.

The current heaters going into the cutterhead motor is labeled as a Furnas H-30 and the drive motor heater is H-12. Furnas is no longer in business, but there are charts online for the heaters and there are some parts available online, but I am not sure what the replacement heaters should be.

Does anyone know what furnas heaters would be correct for 240 volts?

I appreciate any help anyone has. I will contact Northfield next week as well.

Thanks,

Stevo

cutter head motor.jpgthermal protectors.jpgdrive motor.jpg

https://www.electrical.com/Products/...rol-Furnas/H30

https://www.electrical.com/Products/...rol-Furnas/H30

I searched around with their search function for H30 H31 H32 etc.
    H 31 or 32 seemed reasoable.
    Thinking again your amps are motor idle amps? Need at least double those amps for heaters. A size one starter may be too small to take them.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-04-2023 at 12:19 AM.

Bill,

The H-30 s that I have are exactly what you directed to me and they are not tripping.

I am thinking that the H-12s that are tripping on the smaller motor are too light, and need to be replaced with something that can handle a higher amperage. That replacement number is what I dont know.

Thanks for the source.
    Steve

See page four. they say h12 is 1.12 -1.27 amps. if I am reading it correctly and it applies to furnas. I would guess you need double those amps if the H12 was correct at the higher voltage so H19 or H20.
    Bill D.

https://buy.wesco.com/static/catalog...92_893_894.pdf
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-04-2023 at 12:29 AM.

Your best option might be to replace the whole overload relay which would be easy in this case since your problem is with the stand alone relay on the right. Here's what appears to me to be a very inexpensive choice. The units are rated for 600 volts. Not sure which motor the unit is protecting but a reasonable overload setting would be 1.25 times the name plate FLC for that motor. This and similar units are adjustable so you could just crank it up if it nuisance trips. I've done business with these folks and have always been satisfied. You could run your situation by them to confirm suitability. The unit will probably require a DIN rail for mounting. https://www.automationdirect.com/adc.../rw17-1d3-u017

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by stevo wis View Post
    Hi Folks,

Some may recall that I a Northfield 18 inch planer and replaced feed roller bearings a few weeks back.

It originally was wired for 440 volts, and I needed to rewire both motors to run at 240 volts and I run it off a 7.5 hp rotary phase converter.

The problem that I have now is that the right thermal protector as shown in the thermal protector photo, trips after 10 minutes or so and then needs to be reset.
    I am thinking that by cutting the voltage and thus increasing the amperage, that thermal heaters are sized incorrectly for the amperage.
    I put a meter on the cutterhead motor leads and got readings of 7.3, 5.2, and 6.6 amps. I also got 2.1, 1.9, and 1.9 amps on the drive motor. I have included photos of the two motor tags.

The current heaters going into the cutterhead motor is labeled as a Furnas H-30 and the drive motor heater is H-12. Furnas is no longer in business, but there are charts online for the heaters and there are some parts available online, but I am not sure what the replacement heaters should be.

Does anyone know what furnas heaters would be correct for 240 volts?

I appreciate any help anyone has. I will contact Northfield next week as well.

Thanks,

Stevo

cutter head motor.jpgthermal protectors.jpgdrive motor.jpg
    Furnas was bought by Siemens, they dropped the Furnas brand name in favor of Siemens, they did sell some of the Furnas product lines also.