Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini Split- Wall mount or pad

Well, my mini split install just hit a roadblock. Costco shipped the MR Cool in two boxes; both are 10 days overdue and UPS has now declared them lost. While they were at it, UPS also declared a new bowl tool rest and $200 worth of salmon and beef tenderloin lost, too. I am guessing that UPS will happen upon the lost food sooner than either the mini split or the tool rest.

0 for 4 is easily as bad as I have ever seen from UPS.

Yes Bob, the Mr Cool units come in two boxes — the indoor unit in one and the exterior unit in the other.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    "Composite" as in...what?
    I was reading about the different pads, and they all seem to be styrofoam (polystyrene/EPS) coated with a cement like material.
    Is yours like that or it something else, something a bit more substantial than polystyrene?
    And I noticed unit is bolted to the pad, so I'm thinking it's not polystyrene (but I may be mistaken)
    It's a plastic of some kind. These are common, commercially available equipment pads. The HVAC company that installed the unit at my old shop used an identical one.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...ct_id=EL2436-2
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    Well, my mini split install just hit a roadblock. Costco shipped the MR Cool in two boxes; both are 10 days overdue and UPS has now declared them lost. While they were at it, UPS also declared a new bowl tool rest and $200 worth of salmon and beef tenderloin lost, too. I am guessing that UPS will happen upon the lost food sooner than either the mini split or the tool rest.

0 for 4 is easily as bad as I have ever seen from UPS.
    When I ordered my unit from Costco, it came on a pallet and was delivered by a common carrier with a lift gate. It was a direct ship from MrCool. I don't see how the compressor would be UPS shippable unless it's UPS Frieght; way too heavy for the normal brown truck. Both boxes were on the pallet and the compressor, itself, was on a second small pallet on top of the first, lashed down.

IMG_2959.jpg IMG_2965.jpg
    --

Interesting. One of the lost boxes weighed in at 88 lbs. and the other was 37 lbs. The unit is a 12K 120V model. Guessing that yours is considerable larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    Interesting. One of the lost boxes weighed in at 88 lbs. and the other was 37 lbs. The unit is a 12K 120V model. Guessing that yours is considerable larger.
    Yes, mine is a 24K BTU and (I think) it's the same larger external unit "in general" that they use for the larger 36K unit with the exception of some parts. I could not lift it myself; I had to use the Big Orange Power Tool for that, but was able to "fine tune" the position on the pad easily because it could slide.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have two Pioneer units. Wall mounted with their mounts and isolating foot pads/mounts. There is little noise from the units themselves. They do vibrate the wall just a bit and my straight edges and GCS rails that hang on that wall will sometimes rattle about a bit. We live in town but in a sort of "horse country" community. This means we keep critters so standing them on a pad was not a good option. If you can, I would stand them on a ground pad.
    I would echo Glenn's comment. I have two units, one of which I have yet to install. I was planning to mount both of them on the wall. The one in use is mounted on the wall and was rattling my 4' by 8' picture window under some loads. I finally managed to stop that with wooden shim strategically placed in one of the offending sliders. I have already mounted the brackets for the second unit but will be mounting it on a raised pad when I get around to it which unfortunately will require me to buy another (longer) lineset. My building is 6" walls and is pretty stout.
    Regards,

Kris

Living on the Gulf of Mexico, hence in a flood zone, mine is mounted on the outdoor cinder block / stucco about 6 feet up. Never notice any noise from it. Seems to be a total non-issue.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Another alternative is a stand. I ended up putting down a cheap 2 bag pad as the ground drops too much and I wanted it to be level. The stand comes with 4" diameter feet, so brick or smaller pad under it would work. also.
    Crap picture out my window.
    I also put 4 bolts in concrete to bolt it down rather than the feet.20230308_094032.jpg
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others