Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google can be totally useless

Google can be totally useless

Ever since Walking Dead and Sheriff Grimes always wearing his hat--
    SheriffGrimes.jpg
    I've wondered what the 'dingle-ball' things tied to his hat means, or signifies?

The Sheriff on the news lately in California discussing all the snow they've been getting, his hat has blue cloth versions of them...

So I decided to google what they are, and no matter how I try to explain them, google has NO idea what I'm talking about!

So.... Anyone?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Google “Acorn Hatband”

https://www.cavhooah.com/pages/hat-cords
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I think you should change the title to "I'm totally useless at using Google" , I just Googled "sheriff hat cords and got this as the first return https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_cord

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I think you should change the title to "I'm totally useless at using Google" , I just Googled "sheriff hat cords and got this as the first return https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_cord
    ouch man….

I entered “military hat band embellishments “
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

so excuse me for not asking for 'hat cords'-- which is why google is getting useless, 'tied to hat' should be enough for a search engine to look for anything tied to a hat, including 'cords'...

Seems all search engines care about these days is finding ads they can send people to. All about the money. So here's mine 2cents.gif

and an edit, I just went to https://www.cavhooah.com/pages/hat-cords and, I can find several pictures like these-
    hat cord.jpg
    --see any 'dingle-balls'? Me neither...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 03-04-2023 at 4:46 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Like these??
    Followed your link and this came up.

I’m guessing that your problem was that you were using “The Google”.

Blog Entries
    A search engine is only as good as the search terms one uses.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    so excuse me for not asking for 'hat cords'-- which is why google is getting useless, 'tied to hat' should be enough for a search engine to look for anything tied to a hat, including 'cords'...
    I recall looking for a certain type of buffer "wheel". My Google-Fu is pretty good and I couldn't find the thing. Finally while reading an article the author used the term "string buffer". Googled that . . . viola . . . there are hundreds of shapes and sizes. We have definitely gotten used to having Google appear smart. Strip off all the razzle-dazzle and in the end it is just a decision engine. The old axiom still holds true; Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum (garbage in, garbage out). Not to say that your search terms were garbage. Just in this case they were not useful to the search engine. It sometimes pays to use an alternate search engine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have often found myself down some strange and disturbing rabbit holes looking for the proper terminology. just so i could start to do my actual search.

Many years ago I wanted to make one of those tools used for scoring the top of bread. Nothing more than a small handle with a razor sharp blade in it. I couldn't think of the name to save my life. I kept using the terms slice and knife. These words did nothing more than confound my search. Had I used the correct terms (being more literal) it wouldn't have taken near as long to find what I wanted.
    I have since gotten much better at internet searching.

I usually click on images for a broader search. For me the visual gets me the words or extra info I need.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I’m finding lately that rather than using google or other search engine, that when I want to know something like the OP’s question I have more success asking Openai.com in plain language.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Searching Google or others takes some trial and error. Sometimes, you just can not find the right terms. Google can not read your mind and if you do not use the rights each terms that is not Google's fault.

I have found over the years to not try and be so clever.
    Just say what you want and type it.

I tried to find out what was wrong with my garage door once.
    After typing in terms like intermittent error and sensor problems, with no luck. I finally typed in, my garage door is possessed, and the first page had the answer I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A search engine is only as good as the search terms one uses.

jtk
    Today, searched for "Calabash Style Seafood in northeastern Wilmington NC." Google found me plenty of bars, pubs, and other places, non of which featured Calabash Style Seafood. Go figure!