Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for good shoe recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The best shoe may depend on your feet, arches, etc. I had foot pain (plantar fasciitis) and tried many things over the years. What really worked for me are Oofos: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AECHSZ4

I wear these in the shop on concrete floors, outside around the farm, everywhere, and no more foot pain after years. They are soft, flexible material with good arch support. I think they are like having rubber mats everywhere in the shop.

I’ve recommended these to several people who said they helped a lot. One guy said they are a miracle, the pain he had for years went away and didn’t come back!

I’ve followed lots of discussion about footwear and bought several others recommended but they didn’t work for my feet.

JKJ
    Well, John, I won’t buy a grapple on your recommendation but upon looking at the oofos site I have ordered the Oofos Clog. I like Clog styles at about all times and am very comfortable with them in the shop. Thanks for that!

After two close calls with dropped sharp chisels falling too near my feet, I usually wear Army boots. Unless I am just doing finishing or sanding.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    The shoes I grab when I know I will be on my feet for extra hours are SAS (San Antonio Shoemakers). Easily the most supportive and comfortable shoes I have worn.
    I've been wearing them for decades, but the prices just keep going up and heel wear can be a problem.
    So I keep a pair of New Balance cross-trainers for times (dog-walking mostly) when I know I'll be on abrasive surfaces.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Feet are such an individual thing, so one person’s preference is another’s pain. I reached a point where almost every shoe hurt my feet. Then I tried HOKA because of a friend’s recommendation. Expensive running, walking, trail shoes, not really shop shoes. Lots of style options. Great support and extremely comfortable.

I just bought a new pair of sneakers from Tractor Supply. I have high arches so finding comfortable shoes can be an issue. I added some Dr. Scholls heavy duty insoles. I have yet to find a shoe that's comfortable without an insole. The Dr. Scholls are thicker than usual so I bought a 1/2 shoe size larger than normal. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I've been wearing them for decades, but the prices just keep going up and heel wear can be a problem.
    So I keep a pair of New Balance cross-trainers for times (dog-walking mostly) when I know I'll be on abrasive surfaces.
    The prices have certainly changed with the times. Not sure if they have out stripped the pricing on similar well designed/built shoes but they are getting up to a level where you gotta pause and think a bit before paying up.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The best shoe may depend on your feet, arches, etc. I had foot pain (plantar fasciitis) and tried many things over the years. What really worked for me are Oofos: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AECHSZ4

I wear these in the shop on concrete floors, outside around the farm, everywhere, and no more foot pain after years. They are soft, flexible material with good arch support. I think they are like having rubber mats everywhere in the shop.

I’ve recommended these to several people who said they helped a lot. One guy said they are a miracle, the pain he had for years went away and didn’t come back!

I’ve followed lots of discussion about footwear and bought several others recommended but they didn’t work for my feet.

JKJ
    I followed your advice John and must say the slippers are comfortable in the shop hours at a time. Wish they came in widths because I have skinny feet.

Blog Entries
    I used to like Eco a lot but they wear out fast.
    — As I aged, I guess my feet got wider. I’m wearing my very first wide shoe and that has really helped.
    — I’m prone to plantar fasciitis so high arch support is a big deal.
    — I wear orthotics by Birkenstock that I built up with leather. The bottom of the orthotic is not solid which leads to it sinking into the shoe. I filled in the voids to spread the force. On the advice of my podiatrist, I added another 1/8” under the arch.

I have wide feet (EEEE) so I’m a tough fit. New Balance always comes through. Walkers (928V3) runners (840) or safety toe (V412V1) all fit right and are good on concrete. If you prefer a non athletic shoe, consider Propet Village Walkers. The are a diabetic approved walking shoe with a generous fit and wide toe box. The feel like walking on marshmallows, even on concrete.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

You could consider clogs. You frequently find them in the healthcare setting for people on their feet all day. This is a steel toed version, couldn't be happier with them. These type of shoes usually last a very long time.

Haha, looks like someone already mentioned clogs.

IMG_20230312_171504210.jpg
    Last edited by Kyle Stiefel; 03-12-2023 at 5:33 PM.

In the ER with my mom for second time in three days. Dr.’s and Nurses still moving good at end of Q12hr. Shifts all wearing On Cloud running shoes. I can’t move freely in clogs. I live in running shoes, so ordered some OC’s to try. Wearers here say they fit similar to Nike’s with better cushioning.

Search tip: looking for velcro shoes? look for hook and loop. Velcro is a trademark name. After my hip replacement bending over to tie shoes is a hard so I use mainly velcro shoes now.
    Bill D

Back at the hospital this morning. Different workers, but lots more OC shoes.

New Balance Walking Shoes #928v3. Been wearing them for at least 10 years foe shop and everyday wear

I've been wearing Asics for years. I just reflexively buy this year's version of the same sneakers. With bad plantar fasciitis they've been great. Unfortunately, this year they seem to have changed them, and they look much more cheaply made and now hurt my feet. Hugely disappointed. Wondering what I'll try next for very cushioned sneakers with VERY flat feet.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.