Thread: Bartley's Gel Varnish

Bartley's Gel Varnish

I have been trying Bartley's Gel Varnish....it is a very easy finish to use! I have been getting good results on figured wood...it dries fast and does not raise the grain. The key is to apply it and rub it out immediatley...it is quite simple....looks like an oil finish...but builds faster.
    I have used many oil finishes like Daly's Ben Matte and Tried and True,,,Waterlox...The Bartley's seems to offer more protection and a quick and direct method of finishing
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-28-2006 at 10:06 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark,
    I loave this product. It was the first "non-poly" finish I tried a few years ago because it seemed almost foolproof, and still use it at times. I've heard it was developed for use to sell at unfinished furniture stores when that was very popular years ago. They needed something that someone with absolutely no experience could use. That was why I figured I could use when I started out!

Mark

I used to use Bartley's a lot. It sure does look good, and it is nearly idiot-proof. However, a couple years ago I found that it didn't seem to be as water-resistant as I remembered. I'd let it cure a week or so, but a dime-sized pool of water would leave a spot in a matter of seconds. (I wondered whether Bartley's might not have been forced to change their formulation for lower VOCs or something.) Has anybody else had this trouble?

I too love it and have used it quite a bit. I do put a clear coat on top when I am done with the staining portion of finishing. Have been very pleased with the General Finishes products for that.

I've been using General Finishes 'Gel Polyurethane' lately, and like it a lot. It's solvent-based. Goes on easy and smooth, and dries fairly quickly.

Easier to use than Arm-R-Seal, but not sure how the durability compares...

Mark,

I've been using it on my intarsia for a few years now and love it for that application. The only problem that I have is availability here on the Cape. I have to buy it mail order. Good stuff.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

How does do with the depth factor?

depth factor takes more typing but i wasnt sure of the spelling of (chatonence). any way anyone got some input on that. i have used it once on some interior's of cabinets and it was fine but havnt tried it on anything since.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Larry, there is an excellent article titled "Inner Fire" in the January/February 2006 issue of Fine Woodworking starting on page 26. You may find it of interest relative to your question.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

9. I used the Gel Varnish from Bartley's on a bathroom vanity I made. It worked pretty well, and since it is in the kids bathroom it is exposed to everything from urine (what boys miss the toilet?) to toothpaste, and plenty of water. It seems to be holding up well (2 years). I also love the ease of application. The only problem I have found with it is that whatever is left in the can gets a film on it very quickly.
    Darrick

Quote Originally Posted by Darrick Robbins
    The only problem I have found with it is that whatever is left in the can gets a film on it very quickly.
    Never buy more finish than you can use "right away". Most will degrade quickly once the can is opened the first time--varnishes are one of the finishing products typically affected by this. In fact, that means that a big container can end up costing you a LOT more than two small containers, even though the per-ounce cost may appear lower...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    The first time that I used Bartley’s was on my granddaughters cradle. I became an immediate fan of the stuff.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

My finishing experience is almost non-existent. How would the Bartley's compare to using General Finishes Seal-A-Cell, then Arm-R-Seal? I need to come up with a finish for a bathroom vanity (walnut) and Darrick's comments are helpful. Of course I need to actually build the vanity, but that's another story...

Bartley Gel Varnish

Bartley gel varnish is also an excellent pre-stain base for their gel stains; especially on cherry. It will prevent blotching. Lay on the gel varnish, rub in, and while still wet, apply the gel stain. When the stain is cured, finish with as many coats of gel varnish as necessary.

Bartley sells unused lumber a couple times per year and I went two years ago and picked up some excellent tiger maple for $!.50 per pound. While there I took a finishing class and this method was demonstrated. It really works well.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Yes, I found the same thing--not as water resistent as I had expected from a varnish.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrick Robbins
    The only problem I have found with it is that whatever is left in the can gets a film on it very quickly.
    Darrick

Counter to Jim's advice about only purchasing small quantities....you can significantly reduce, if not completely avoid the skinning-over issue by laying some plastic food wrap over the finish and then capping. This method has it's downside....don't go sloshing the can around afterwards.

You should still strain/filter the finish before application - even a brand new can of finish. IMO/IME.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....