Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Close Call and damaged machine

Close Call and damaged machine

About a year ago I ran across an old craftsman 6" jointer. From the best I could tell it was made in the late '40's early 50's. Since I didn't have a jointer and the price was right, I picked it up. The jointer served me well on a couple of projects, but sat unused most of the summer due to other commitments. I rolled out to the middle of shop and gave it a tune-up today.

After I had replace the drive belt, honed and re-set the knives I gave it a test spin. I was about 3" into a piece of scrap poplar when I heard a terrible sound. My first thought was that there was an unseen piece of metal in the scrap wood. I shut the machine down as quickly as possible to find that a knife had been thrown from the cutter head.

I found the knife on the floor behind the machine. The first thing I did was check the machine for damage. The lip of the knife slot was slightly rolled back on the near side and the knife was damaged. It appears that the knife had come loose on that side and caught the lip of either the infeed or outfeed table as it rotated around.

My first assumption (and probably yours) was I didn't tighten the knives, but that was not the case. After the knives were reset, I went around the cutter head twice to ensure that everything was tourqued properly. My father-in-law stated that he watched me while I did it.

I am wondering if it as some other issue of fatigue either in the metal or the threads of the set screw. Either way the machine is out of commission. My machinist father-in-law thinks it would be feasible to pull the cutter head, file down the bent section and still have a servicable machine. Right now my idea is to sell it for pennies on the pound to scrap man.

Oh well where is that Grizzly catalog.....

Dan, if you file ANYTHING off the cutter head, won't it be out of balance and therefore more dangerous? Just a thought. Glad you're ok though. That would have been scary.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Sure gald you are not hurt. Were it mine, I would scrap it and get out the catalogs.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I'm with Alan, I would constantly be worried that it would happen again. And I can't imagine the work it would take to make the knife holder balanced again but then I don't have a machinist father in law.

There are enough things that can go wrong in this hobby that can cause safety problems without having to deal with a tool that is marginal at best.

Good luck with your decision.

Jay

Just the worry could cause an accident. I'd pitch it.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I would be worried it would happen again. Sounds like time to go jointer shopping for sure.
    Reporting live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

If the tables are flat, incorporate them into a sharpening station.

Hook the motor up to a large squirrel cage blower and make a nice air filter.

Use the base as a storage cabinet or trash can.

No matter what, i'd keep wood away from it.

Glad you're not hurt!!!!!!!!!!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I would never fully "trust" that machine again. Consider your safety and well being.....I'd never use it again.

Glad you're not hurt. If the lip of the knife slot is at all compromised, chuck the cutterhead. Filing will make the head unbalanced as another poster suggested. And even if you rebalance, there is serious question as to whether a knife will seat properly in the slot.

A common issue with jointers/planers that have set for a while without proper maintenance is that the gib bolts will rust. If they are not thoroughly cleaned and the threads chased, this can cause a false "reading" that they have been properly torqued. I don't know if you went through the gib bolts when you sharpened the blades, but if not, it might be a cause.

This can equally happen to a 40 yr old Craftsman or a 5 yr old Chiwanese machine that hasn't seen proper maintenance. So, be sure to always inspect/clean the gib bolts when resetting blades.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

On those machines the blades are held in place with a wedge. The wedge is held in place with Allen Head Screws. If you honed the blades and did not remove all the oil, if you used oil, from the blades, that may be what caused the thing to fly out. You need to put the cutter head parts together completely oil free and dry. Any oil on the blade and centrifugal force can throw it out of the slot.

Something about flying razors in the shop makes me want to run......

Don't think I would want to get it anywhere near an electrical outlet again. I kind of like Brian's ideas.

I think you were very lucky. Don't stare a gift horse in mouth - chuck it! You got a free warning out of this one.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    You got a free warning out of this one.
    I don't think it could be said any better than this! Hey, you got it for a great price and got some use out of it. BUT, the potential damage this thing could do will far outweigh the damage to your pocket a new jointer would cause. For safety's sake, chuck it. It just isn't worth it.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Yep Dan.....I think you came to the right place for encouragement to buy a new jointer! I'd scrap it if it were mine. Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Sometimes junk is not enough...

Not only would I junk the machine (imagine a knife going through your eye socket) but I would damage it beyond repair so the junk man does not sell it to another sucker. Remember that you bought it very cheaply; there had to be a reason for the price.