Thread: Alternates for GF ArmRseal and Enduro clear poly

Alternates for GF ArmRseal and Enduro clear poly

First, I am very happy with the results I receive with a wiped on base coat of armRseal, followed by sprayed Enduro clear poly topcoats. Unfortunately getting enduro during the Alaska winter is difficult, so I try to anticipate my needs and stock up during the summer months. Well that recently bit me as I’m tossing 4 full gallons that have gone south (been in my shop for awhile). So I’m looking to see if there is another alternate system with similar or better performance that I may find locally, or that is shippable during winter months.
    So if you are familiar with general finishes Enduro and ArmRseal, as well as another comparable , I’d really appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks
    Sean

Would a different method of storage help? Maybe stop loss bags or periodically open the cans and give them a shot of your choice of oxygen displacing gas, bloxegen or similar.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Went bad? Did they freeze? I have a 5 gal bucket of Enduro Clear Poly that is now at least 3 years old and half empty. I used some a month ago and it's still fine.

Anyway, can you get Minwax Oil Modified Poly? Great stuff. Goes on great with a foam brush or spray. One product that should look close to the two-step process you've been using.

John

You are going to have the same challenge with any oil based product...they are all subject to degradation once opened. John offers good suggestions for helping them stay fresher over a bit of time. With waterborne finishes, it's critical to keep the from freezing and I personally don't like them to get too cold regardless. So "where" you store finishes matters, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

E08823BB-4210-4F59-9914-E5E6FD8252C1.jpegA little more information-evidently this case was 5 years old, the cans were unopened. So it was probably just bad luck. It’s a great product, too bad they don’t date their cans anymore. Still, I like these products-but would be open to hearing about other similarly performing products.
    Thanks
    Sean
    Last edited by sean meltvedt; 03-16-2023 at 1:14 PM.

Jerry, this was a full unopened case stored between 62-68 degrees. So I don’t expect it to have been a storage problem. (Other than stored for too long, over two years at my shop and more than that in the supply chain)
    Thanks for the thoughts
    Sean

What you have there looks more like EnduroVar than Clear Poly.

I wonder if the problem is because they were in metal cans? Stored long enough in them, metal cans seem to always cause problems with WB finishes, whether opened or not. The pail I've had for 3 years is plastic. The finish is still lily white and hasn't even settled much even though it's satin. I've opened it many times to get a pint or a quart for a project. I just make sure to use a clean dipper and not to pour unused finish back into it. TC is good enough to use plastic for their products, at least the gallons I've bought have been. That said, Enduro Clear Poly is my favorite all around clear finish. Hard, durable, sprays great, and looks great.

John

John-I’m right with you. Enduro fits my shop workflow perfectly. It’s been a great performing finish with zero comebacks due to finish failure. I’m very hesitant to use a consumer grade product off label (such as spraying Minwax or Varathane) because if there was any finish issues once out of my hands, then I don’t have any manufacturer support since I was using the product in a manner not suggested by them.
    Thanks for your thoughts, I’ll look at Target again to see if they have a viable alternative to my workflow.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    What you have there looks more like EnduroVar than Clear Poly.

I wonder if the problem is because they were in metal cans? Stored long enough in them, metal cans seem to always cause problems with WB finishes, whether opened or not. The pail I've had for 3 years is plastic. The finish is still lily white and hasn't even settled much even though it's satin. I've opened it many times to get a pint or a quart for a project. I just make sure to use a clean dipper and not to pour unused finish back into it. TC is good enough to use plastic for their products, at least the gallons I've bought have been. That said, Enduro Clear Poly is my favorite all around clear finish. Hard, durable, sprays great, and looks great.

John