Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Paint Scraper ???

The earlier picture of the sash interior with brown paint shows the glass bedded in latex caulking. I think I talked about that then. At least the bottom needs to be sealed to keep any condensed water from getting down in there. That's probably what happened to the ones you're working on with that epoxy in the picture.

The painting seals it to the glass, but if there is not a seal in there, water will get in when the paint fails, which will be soon if interior paint is used. Even though the inside of the sash is on the interior, it needs to be painted with exterior paint.

Before I try cutting or trimming caulk going go over all your suggestions here and your website. What to try my best so maybe come out decent. Tom package is on its way

Tom I am starting to feel like you " One call gets it all"
    Building my own retirement home is a full time job. It being a DIY project mostly a one man show is full time job with serious over time. But in my mind its worth every minute. For next few weeks I will be working on roof, which I really have no business doing, but being hard headed has its pluses I guess. After reading your profile page we have something little in common other than I am not a professional,but thats where hard headed comes into play. Had crane set all trusses on walls then I had to slide them into place, and use my truck to pull first gable truss upright. These couple pics kinda represent a hole weekends worth of work. Don't give up on me, just have lot of things going on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hope you get it closed up before it gets hot.

I used to pull the whole gable end walls up in one piece. I'd lay out the framing by snapping lines on the floor, put it all together, and with a big A-frame attached to the sole plates, with a connector to the peak of the roof, I'd pull it up with a vehicle too. I'd set a post in the yard for the A-frame to end up on. I always worried about dropping one, but never did. Most were 2-story.

I set up the two gable ends first, and then built and stood up the other walls between them.

Since I did everything, before I accumulated enough scaffolding to go around a whole house, I'd completely finish the outside of one wall before moving the scaffolding to the next wall. One wall would be painted with gutters up, and windows in, and the others would just be framing.

I'd start a house in the Fall, have it closed in by cold weather, finish the inside with heat inside over the Winter, dress up the outside in the Spring, sell it and take the Summer off to play on the lake. I did that for 33 years, building one house a year. My last was in 2007. Everyone else in the building business had gotten smarter than me by then, and I didn't want to have a house on the market in 2008. That's when I went full time working on historic houses. I could build a house for a little less than half of what I could sell it for in those nine months.

I did always have two helpers.

Carroll, I have not seen those chisels yet. If you think they're lost, I can just send you a couple. I have so many that I'll never miss them. PM me your address.

Carroll, no chisels ever showed up. I have a couple of Stanley carpentry chisels ready to go as soon as I get an address.

Carroll, Those two chisels are headed your way. They are optimized for slicing glazing, and the edge is a low bevel that won't hold up for use on wood. I handed them to the lady in the Post Office wrapped in bubble wrap taped with blue tape. I was expecting her to put them in a box, but she put them in a TYvek envelope while I wasn't looking. If they don't get there by this time next week, let me know and I'll send another couple of chisels.

They are very sharp, but the edge will be quite delicate being such a low bevel. Don't feel an edge with a finger to see how sharp they are. They have LV magnetic edge guards on them, so be careful that the edge doesn't touch the metal head on when putting one back in the guard.

I suggest making a guide board like an earlier picture. I would have sent one but I had no idea of what angle you need.

I have the tracking number if you need it. email me at historichousepreservation@gmail dot com

Yahoooo, some very sharp chisels has arrived from Tom. Wow, and I’m talking razor blade sharp. For trimming the caulking that’s made for glazing. This is going to be an interesting ride, cause I have never rebuilt sash window frames or sashes themselves. Once I retire in January hopefully I will have my work table setup so that I can start rebuilding frames then move to sashes. Years ago I meet a cabinet shop owner who done fancy houses, he had told me that first things he does is tool up. Meaning if he needs tool then he will get that tool. That’s what I’m working on first is Tooling Up. Thanks to Tom for his help with me tooling up. I know I can buy tools that I need to physically do work, but there tool you can’t buy. That’s knowledge, which I get from Tom and others here at SMC. And learning from mistakes, that’s can be painful part of tooling up. Thanks Tom for help make it better learning process