Thread: Stanley plane type megachart

Stanley plane type megachart

Does anyone know if the Stanley plane typing megachart is now offline permanently? I was using it last week to find the dates on some planes, but now it seems to be 404.

(A website with a very useful chart to date Stanley Bailey handplanes)

Blog Entries
    Hi Kemil, You always here things on the internet are forever, NOT TRUE.

Some of my favorite sites have disappeared. My solution was to save a web archive on my computer. Wish I had started earlier.

There is also a web archive group, but they may also disappear someday.

I do not have the URL for the chart to which you are referring. It may be archived.

My favorite type study also disappeared from the internet, fortunately I saved a copy before hand.

It is also archived on the internet > https://web.archive.org/web/20191222...ing/typing.htm

There are some holes in most of the type studies online. Stanley had no idea the parts used and changes made in their products would be of such interest to people of the future.

Two examples are between type 6 & type 7 planes there were a few planes made with different casting marks, a little pimple. It also was when the depth adjuster went from right hand thread to left hand thread.

Early type 9 planes were different in their frog and base castings. Early type 9 planes also might have a type 8 lateral lever with one patent date.

Later type 9 planes are like the one on the right in the image below:

Type 9 frogs and bases.jpg

The plane on the left is an early type 9.

Also note the changes in the recess for the lateral lever.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you for your response Jim. Yes, things do disappear from the internet from time to time! The RexMill page that you linked was also one of my favorites, good descriptions and lots of clear photos. That page was gone for a while, then I think it came back for a while, and now is gone again. I did save a couple of the type study pages to an older computer, but those files have not made it to the machine I am using right now. I have studied the type studies for many years now (perhaps decades?), but don't have all of the dates committed to memory, so do rely on a couple of pages for the details. The megachart page was maybe the most comprehensive detailed source for all of the tiny changes that Stanley made over the years.

A while back I got kind of obsessed with the types, and put together a collection of No. 3 size Bailey models. Types 2, and 4-20. The type 1 and 3 were too hard to find and lots of $$$, so I skipped those!

No3planes.jpg

Blog Entries
    Wow, and I think of being obsessed for having more than one or two of a single sized plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Ha! It was just a fun hobby . Also got the all Bailey sizes, 2-8, we all know the No. 1 is way, way overpriced, so never got that one. I do keep that collection tuned up, sharp, ready to use.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago, when some extra cash came around, an LN #1 was purchased. So there is at least one plane of each size #1 through #8. I was also able to pick up a #10-1/2 on one rust hunt.

Mine are also kept ready to use and do get used.

jtk

I suspect that there is a Stanley No. 1 in the bottom of a wooden dairy crate, under a ton of rusty wrenches and braces, somewhere in this country. I have not found it yet

Found the MegaChart on the Internet Archive WayBack Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220524145724/http://primeshop.com/access/woodwork/stanleyplane/

Hoping that this will be permanent now. I used that site a lot.

I turned that particular page into a document using LibreOffice (it uses an ODT file, which is also supported by MS Word). This web site does not support this type of file (claims an invalid type), which means that they have a whitelist of supported file types. I can easily convert to PDF, but then you cannot fix any errors that I have introduced when I converted to an ODT file.

So, if you want a copy of Stanley_Plane_Type_Megachart.odt and are able to receive an 8MB document by email, drop me a line and ask for it.

andrew AT pitonyak.org

Quote Originally Posted by James Spangler View Post
    Found the MegaChart on the Internet Archive WayBack Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220524145724/http://primeshop.com/access/woodwork/stanleyplane/

Hoping that this will be permanent now. I used that site a lot.
    Thank you James, that is very helpful. I had tried looking on the Archive, but must have not tried hard enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I turned that particular page into a document using LibreOffice (it uses an ODT file, which is also supported by MS Word). This web site does not support this type of file (claims an invalid type), which means that they have a whitelist of supported file types. I can easily convert to PDF, but then you cannot fix any errors that I have introduced when I converted to an ODT file.

So, if you want a copy of Stanley_Plane_Type_Megachart.odt and are able to receive an 8MB document by email, drop me a line and ask for it.

andrew AT pitonyak.org
    Thank you Andrew. Now that I know the Archive has this site, I will try to copy it from there myself. I don't know if my email service (Yahoo) has a limit that would block the file size.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemil Pepin View Post
    Thank you Andrew. Now that I know the Archive has this site, I will try to copy it from there myself. I don't know if my email service (Yahoo) has a limit that would block the file size.
    I think that gmail has a 25MB limit but most places used to be 10MB. PDF version is only 1.5MB, which you cannot edit. An attachment on this forum is needs to be something under 1MB (don't remember the exact size).

I suspect that there is a Stanley No. 1 in the bottom of a wooden dairy crate, under a ton of rusty wrenches and braces, somewhere in this country. I have not found it yet
    Patrick Leach lists a No. 1 from time to time.

Oops. This month’s No. 1 is from 1900 and he’s asking $1,185.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 04-04-2023 at 7:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post

That's why I don't already have one I much prefer to buy at garage sale prices, and not collector prices.
    Last edited by Kemil Pepin; 04-04-2023 at 8:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post

That's why I don't already have one I much prefer to buy at garage sale prices, and not collector prices.
    I agree about the pricing. Back when the Lie Nielsen #1 was the only alternative I bought one for $250 +shipping. Maybe someone would trade it for a Stanley #1.

jtk