Thread: Another First Hollowing Thread - Questions & PICS

Another First Hollowing Thread - Questions & PICS

Below are photos of my first hollowing attempts. I'm somewhat satisfied with the outside but questions remain on how the inside should look. Does it matter or should it look almost refined as the outside? I'm using the Lyle Jamieson setup with standard HSS cutters.
    Hollow Forms 002.jpgHollow Forms 003.jpgHollow Forms 005.jpg

Nice work. I think if you can see the inside clearly it should at least be free of toolmarks, but opinions differ. David Ellsworth goes for as clean a finish as he can get with his tools and stops there. I usually leave a smoothly scraped surface, sanded near the opening, but I usually use small openings. Some say for small openings the neck should be sanded smooth as deep as can be felt with a finger. Really it's up to you.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 04-01-2023 at 10:25 PM.

People will put fingers inside to feel the surface. Don't know why. They just do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    People will put fingers inside to feel the surface. Don't know why. They just do.
    Regular people too? Or just turners. I've only had turners put fingers in the (watching what I say here) opening of the form.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Regular people too? Or just turners. I've only had turners put fingers in the (watching what I say here) opening of the form.
    I have had neighbors that do not even know what a wood lathe looks like put fingers in my turnings. Then comment if they feel something rough. Never comment about how smooth, just rough.

Seeing as how you are just starting out, challenge yourself to try and match the inside with the outside. That way you develop control of your hollowing rig and will minimize any sanding later. My experience has shown customers vary in what they expect. I have turned highly finished thin hollow forms for galleries where the interior matched the exterior only to lose sales because some patrons stated the pieces were too delicate and they were afraid to handle them. I have also turned natural wood/rustic pieces where the inside was left scraped to show that the piece was hand crafted and had those sell relatively quickly. Everything depends on your audience, so just work on your hollowing skills and have fun with the process.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice to forms Steve. What finish did you use on these?

Quote Originally Posted by paul vechart View Post
    Very nice to forms Steve. What finish did you use on these?
    Thanks Paul! The last 2 shown were finished with Tried & True - Original and polished with the Beal buffing system. The one with the Purpleheart lip was unfinished when the photo was taken but eventually given the same treatment.