Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Hybrid Workbench Build Log

Rear slab mounted and then both slabs pulled off to apply danish oil to slab bottoms.
    IMG_1185.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg

then both slabs put back onto the base and secured with 6” Spax Powerlags (4 per slab). Next up is sliding tail vise chop, dog holes and then danish oil on top and sides of slabs
    IMG_1194.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 06-10-2023 at 1:55 PM.

Spent some time over the weekend working on the top. Using my straight edge, it was good end to end long ways, but front to back was off down the middle because my cross braces were about 1/64 to 1/32 lower than my leg tops. I tried some shimming, but this small difference combined with the slabs sitting for 2 weeks awaiting attachment to the base frame meant they were not quite level.

Again, end to end the slabs remained perfect, but checking front to back the gaps were 20 thousands and more. I wanted the top to within 10 thousands more or less to match up with the Saw Stop tolerance specifications so I used my no 7 plane to slowly bring down the high spots. Got the slabs to where I want them and moved on to the tail vise chop.

bench1.jpg

bench2.jpg

Its certainly a FrankenBench with regards to color and texture. Need to get the tail vise chop planed level with the bench top, and then marked for dog holes across its top and face. Will remove it to drill them on the drill press, but will have to drill the bench in place using a bushing and hand drill. The tail vise chop will also get some smoothing and easing, as well as a coat of finish before going back on.

Once the dog holes are all drilled, the top will be ready for its coat of Danish oil and then its down to the lower shelf and center filler/plane stop to finish it. Will have to decide if I feel like building a lower tool cabinet for it or not but that was in my initial plan.

Got the top and tail vise chop finish applied.

Used Danish oil on the top slabs.
    benchfinish1.jpg

And used homemade wipe on poly for the chops.
    benchfinish2.jpg

After a few days of dry/cure time, I got the chop reinstalled and reamed out the dog holes to clean out any finish residue and/or swelling.
    workbench3.jpg

workbench5.jpg

Still need to make the center filler/plane stop, as well as my lower shelf, but for now the bench is functional. My next step will be to drill out holdfast holes in the rear slab once my holdfasts arrive.