Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharpening

Blog Entries
    I do have a demagnatizing (is that a word?) coil so I’m all set.
    The word I remember, from the days when part of the family business was TV repair, is degaussing.

It was used on CRTs to remove magnetic fields that would mess with color images. Most of the later ones have a built in degaussing coil. Older CRTs needed a technician with an electro magnet.

It has also been used on ships to neutralize their magnetic signature and protect against magnetic mines.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The word I remember, from the days when part of the family business was TV repair, is degaussing.

It was used on CRTs to remove magnetic fields that would mess with color images. Most of the later ones have a built in degaussing coil. Older CRTs needed a technician with an electro magnet.

It has also been used on ships to neutralize their magnetic signature and protect against magnetic mines.

jtk
    Yeah, same thing. As you probably know, a gauss is a unit of magnetism. Though the term "degaussing" generally is only used when talking about ships, TV's, or storage media like tape, floppy discs, hard disk drives, and stuff. Demagnetizing is usually the term used for most other things like tools and whatever. Why are there two terms with the same basic meaning but are used in different scenarios? I have no idea.

I've worked a bit on CRT TVs. 30,000 volts is no joke!

Blog Entries
    Why are there two terms with the same basic meaning but are used in different scenarios? I have no idea.
    It's just the way of the trades. What we call a marking gauge people in many framing shops call a scribe.

What some of us call a large chisel others will call a spud or a slick.

Candy and I have agreed to disagree on what is or isn't a spatula.

Wasn't there a story about something like this called the Tower of Babble?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)