Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pocket hole poll

hey Chuck wasnt picking on you though it seemed that way, more the businesses that use that word cause its warm and fuzzy. The bottom line is the work. Design, proportions, construction, material quality and layout and all that stuff.

Pocket screws have so many uses, mostly for cabinets, shop things, and jigs.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Almost never use them, don't remember the last time I used (probably more than 15 years ago).

I use the word custom, but everyone I know back in Ireland where I grew up uses bespoke.
    And believe me nobody there feels the word communicates anything other than what custom communicates to us. It's just the term used in the UK, our bigger neighbor.
    I don't like the term bespoke. But I also didn't like the term trunk for a car boot, or store for a shop, for many years after moving here. Now the opposite is true, of course it a trunk! and a store! fahrenheit not celcius! and what's with the driving on the other side of the road!

not the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    not the same thing
    Agreed, custom makes a lot more sense and is less condescending. It's like the rest of us call a Porsche a "porsh" and those that own one call it a "porshaaaaaa"

"For all the trashing it gets, pocket hole joints can work just fine, in certain applications."
    --Julie M, post #45

Bingo!

I agree with @Jim. When the need dictates, then I make use of them.

The low angle dual router Porter Cable / Castle push-pull benchtop machine has been amazing. Great way to clamp dominos when the pocket holes won't be visible, and also quite strong with just screws. I've broken apart face frames and had the wood fail before the joint.
    JR