Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pocket hole poll

Pocket hole poll

Not to offend the fans, but pocket hole joinery has always seemed wrong to me- toe screwing into ends & edges of boards.

A couple of years ago, I thought I should try it & got a set up, but I have still not used it. I'm not a purist & use nails, screws, plugged screws, dowels, biscuits, dominos, m&t, dovetails, splines, etc..

What's your take?

- Love it

- Necessary for production

- Meh

- Say what?

I don't use it on fine furniture (or as close as I get to fine furniture), but have no issue using it for things like cabinet boxes where it won't be seen after installation.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Necessary for production: Face frames, cabinetry and attaching FF to cabinet. +1 regarding invisibility after installation.
    Meh: The shift from an angled pull of a pocket screw is a disadvantage on face frames.
    Like (love too strong an adjective): Same parts shift that is frowned upon for face frames is advantageous with cabinet pieces, as internal seams are pulled tight from a pocket hole screw coming from outside the cabinet, aiding a cabinet floor, for instance, as it's being seated to the shoulder of a dado or rabbet.

Necessary part of my business, but no fault found in a purist approach for the finest of cabinetry and furnishings.

jeff

Blog Entries
    I purchased my Kreg pocket hole jig at a wood show. I took it home and had similar thoughts that you expressed above. I was building a dresser and found that I needed to add a piece that in the interior frames. Things were glued together and there was no way to drill holes to screw the needed piece in place. I remembered my Kreg jig and was able to put two pocket hole screws in each end of the piece and screw it in place. I have found many uses for it since then.

This sewing table was for a friend. It needed to go down a set of stairs to a finished basement. There were two 90 degree turns to get to the basement. At 72" long, 37" high and 30" wide, it would not make the two turns. The only option was disassemble it, take it to the basement and then reassemble it. The entire cabinet was made from high quality birch plywood and assembled with Kreg pocket holes. It holds close to 250 pounds of fabrics, poster board and other materials. It was made over 15 years ago and there have been no problems.
    craft_table1.jpgcraft_table2.jpgcraft_table3.jpg
    Pocket hole joinery in cabinet making has been around since the 18th century so it has withstood the test of time. You can make stronger joints if you apply glue, but I've never had a joint fail.

One other use that I've found for them is when building cabinets and dressers with solid wood side panels. To insure the cabinets end up square, I build frames from 1 x 2 poplar. I build the frames with lap joints and take extra care to insure the frames are square. I mount the frames to the cabinet sides (cross grain application) with three pocket hole screws. One at the front, one mid way and one near the back. I elongate the h screw part of the hole on the center and rear hole to allow for seasonal expansion of the side panels. I used the same technique on this hickory night stand to attach the top and shelves to the leg assembly.
    IMG_4816.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-06-2023 at 7:41 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I love mine for cabinet drawers, not fine furniture. Depending on the species of wood and the thickness of the stock, you may have fiddle a bit with the length of the screws, but that is minor.
    Regards,

Tom

May not be for fine furniture but worked great for a fence. kreg sells a 'bigger' version for 2x4 lumber. Was great for attaching the cross pieces to the posts. Beat toe nailing or screwing from the top and bottom of the cross pieces. Made for a very sturdy structure

frame.jpgfinished.jpg

It is one tool in the toolbox. It has its place. It is used when the need dictates but otherwise there are better methods. There times when it is the best approach at solving a problem.

Great for what it was invented for, holding a face frame together until it can be glued on to a cabinet box. I use them and like them for that purpose. Haven't yet found another use for which it is my preferred joint.

I use pocket screws when it makes sense to me to do so. I see no issue with them if they are installed properly and are appropriate for the strength needed for the particular project. It's a perfectly valid method of joinery just like so many others. It's good to have choices.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use them very occasionally, perhaps once in 5 years.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I am with Jim Becker on this. I use them where they work. Have seen some strength tests that seem there validate their use over other stuff, including Dominoes. For me, I still make through tenons, have both Dominos, a dowel jig, and a Kreg Jig I attach to my Festool HEPA Dust Collector. It is all a matter of utility and I bet if Gustav were still around he would use Kreg screws. BTW, some fine furniture makers indeed use them - have a modern Stickley Cherry Buffet (made 10 years ago) and in a few spots that will not see the light of day, Stickley used pocket screws. Also have some Amish stuff with pocket screws.

Have never used them, will never use them. Ugh. I have an irrational distaste regarding them.

Pocket screws all the way. In working life, there was no substitute for pocket screws when building face frame cabinets. Pocket screw boxes together, face frames, attach face frames, and drawer boxes using pocket screws. Attached hardwood edging using pocket screws. Attached back splash to counter top using pocket screws. Here there is a guy who builds dining room tables. Instead of clamping, the individual boards in the top are pocket screwed together for glue up. Allows him to work one board at the time, getting them flush with each other.

I really only use them for utility purposes. Our dining chairs were starting to creak and pop when applying a lot of pressure in the center. The only way to add support easily was to add a stretcher and attach it with pocket hole screws, so that's what I did.

Our laundry station in the house was setup before we moved in, and it has the machines elevated a bit with a single step up, but with that step, there was a gap, just right for dropping socks through, never to be retrieved. I added some wood to that space, and pocket hole screws made the most sense for that purpose as well.

When it comes to personal projects and furniture though, I do steer away, as I prefer the look and satisfaction of traditional joinery, even if it takes me longer. I am doing this as a hobby, and not making money on it, so I can take my time and not worry about it. If I was on a time crunch, or had a bunch of casework to do, I would definitely consider pocket holes though, especially if it were my primary profession.

I have never used it and I doubt I ever will.