Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pocket hole poll

It has it's place, but I don't depend on it's strength and absolutely won't use it if it can be seen after assembly. It does hold things together - "while the glue dries", so sometimes when speed of assembly is more important and needed over good looks I have used pocket hole joinery more than I wanted to. I have both the Kreg K3 kit as well as a pocket rocket. Both get used if the need is correct, and always to "hold things together while the glue dries". Strength of their joint is not important if the glue is there to hold it together for the long term.

Biscuits (I know, not in this discussion) also get used by me, but mostly to assist with alignment rather than getting glued in place. I don't like gluing them, because sometimes as the glue dries, they will telegraph their shape to the surface of the wood, leaving a shallow 1/2 biscuit shaped depression in the surface of the wood (most evident with soft woods) as the glue moisture in the biscuit dries out and the biscuit shrinks in thickness.

There, one post to cover two frequently asked questions.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 04-06-2023 at 2:19 PM.

I have a Kreg pocket hole set. I've used it a bunch of times but it's not my go-to when building. There are times when they make sense, i'll use em.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I think pocket screws have their place. The resulting joint is normally stronger than a through screw would provide because of the angle of the pocket screw. It is not stronger than a properly made and sized mortise and tenon, including one where the domino is used to cut the mortises. But you have to use a proper sized tenon, not tie yourself to the premade ones. Anyway, I only use pocket screws where they won't show unless it's for my shop or something. I have drawers in my shop made with pocket screws but also have dovetailed ones. I'd rather use dominos for face frames, however, because it is still possible to see the pocket screws on many face frames if you look. I think they are strong enough for cabinet joints or small face frames but I don't like looking at the holes they require. They are not strong enough for an apron to leg joint, domino tenons (correctly sized) are.

I had a Porter Cable router based pocket screw machine for a while. The noise of cutting the slot nearly drove me out of the shop. After 2 projects I sold it or maybe gave it to Habitat. Are the Castle jigs loud as well?
    Terry T.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Therneau View Post
    I had a Porter Cable router based pocket screw machine for a while. The noise of cutting the slot nearly drove me out of the shop. After 2 projects I sold it or maybe gave it to Habitat. Are the Castle jigs loud as well?
    Terry T.
    The Castle machines are based on a couple of routers, so yes.

Blog Entries
    Great problem solvers as mentioned. This type of joinery has been around since the 1800s and before. I think where people get a negative opinion about them is when they are used in place of more traditional joinery. They have a purpose and a good use case just like any other joinery method. Do I use them where I would normally use a mortise and tenon? No.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

IMG_4488.jpgI am no purist and use pocket holes any time I can. When assembling cabinets I use it for attaching the backs and also for drawer boxes as well as face frames. They've never failed me for such. I have a stationary Castle and it will cut multiple pockets in a large piece of ply in seconds. If commissioned for a fine piece of furniture I might cut dadoes for the drawer bottoms but just for expectations. If they are for my use in cabinests I go with pocket holes.

Cabinets/shop furniture for me. I have a k5 but I bought a foreman for an upcoming cabinet project

I really like that they make projects very approachable for anybody. My sister has one and likes it. She has a cordless drill, 2 screw drivers, 1/2 a tape measure and a kreg jig.

I use them, but avoid them in some applications mostly for looks. Mathias did some testing a while back, and found no significant decrease in strength vs more traditional joinery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apsH8eBfjVA

Blog Entries
    Interestingly I just this morning used them in place of clamps for an awkward internal structure glue up. I had done a dry run with the end panels standing on the floor like they would normally.
    Sideboard (93).jpg
    This allowed for clamps between the front and rear planes to capture the plywood drawer area dividers. It was awkward and potentially problematic.
    Sideboard (116).jpg
    By using pocket screws instead of clamps I was able to do the assembly on the bench a lot easier.
    Sideboard (117).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I find this interesting. Do I use pocket screws: absolutely. Do I use them in every situation: no. Before people cry wolf, know I had a repair and restoration business for several decades. I did a lot of work on 'old' stuff and I can say for doubters: that the screw pocket is nothing new. It was used on quite a few pieces of Pre-Civil war furniture to do things like hold aprons onto tabletops. It was not near as sophisticated as what's done today. Many times, it was a simple V groove cut in the back of the apron then a hole drilled on a diagonal through one side of the v to screw the top on.
    If you have a situation that presents itself and a screw pocket can solve the situation, then consider it. Notice I didn't say do it, rather consider it. If it seems right, then do it. If not, then don't.

I use them on face frames. Because they are quick and easy and normally can't be seen.

the only pocket holes I have are in my blakladder work pants from putting screws in them.

I have several joinery options available. I rarely use my Kreg but am glad to have it for those times when it is the fastest or sometimes even the best method available. I am a hobbyist woodworker and
    builder of our (British colonial) period home including all millwork.

If I did a lot of pocket screw work I would try to buy something more sophisticated like a Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Not to offend the fans, but pocket hole joinery has always seemed wrong to me- toe screwing into ends & edges of boards.

A couple of years ago, I thought I should try it & got a set up, but I have still not used it. I'm not a purist & use nails, screws, plugged screws, dowels, biscuits, dominos, m&t, dovetails, splines, etc..

What's your take?

- Love it

- Necessary for production

- Meh

- Say what?
    It's hard to beat for simple, fast connections. I've used it a lot on cabinet face frames. Never had one fail. But the pieces have to be clamped down tight before screwing.

I did a kitchen remodel for a neighbor and bought a box of 2500 pocket hole screws for the job. I used about half. My neighbor loves his cabinets. In fact, that remodel has motivated him to remodel the entire house.

For all the trashing it gets, pocket hole joints can work just fine, in certain applications.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain