Thread: Cedar good for turning?

Cedar good for turning?

I have a chance to get a log of cedar, about 12 in in diameter and ten feet long. Is it worth the trouble to turn? Or pass.

Very worthwhile to turn in my opinion. Attached are pictures of two I did a few years ago from a tree in my front yard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It can be pretty but I can't be in the same room with it. I react to it more than walnut. I avoid both.

Thanks ,beautiful bowls!!

Knowing what kind of cedar we are talking about sure would help. Eastern red cedar loves to crack, western red cedar tears out easily.

Both of the bowls I posted pictures of are eastern red cedar. I have cut and dried a good amount of it and do not have trouble with cracking. All of the ERC I have used has been Florida grown if that makes a difference.

I’ve turned a bit of Western Red Cedar and have been happy with the results. However tear out is a major problem and necessitates a great deal of sanding. Plus in my situations cracking while drying even when sealed has been a problem. Suggest you talk to local turners about their experiences with cedar.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Both of the bowls I posted pictures of are eastern red cedar. I have cut and dried a good amount of it and do not have trouble with cracking. All of the ERC I have used has been Florida grown if that makes a difference.
    My comment was directed to the OP.

I turned some Deodar cedar and it turned much better than WRC. Aborist said the deodar is a true cedar and the WRC is from the cypress family. The Deodar was didn't tear out like WRC
    and dried with no cracking and minimal distortion. Your shop will have a nice aroma as well.

Eastern Red Cedar dust is not good to breathe. Make sure to wear good PPE and a decent dust collector to protect your lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Loeblein View Post
    Eastern Red Cedar dust is not good to breathe. Make sure to wear good PPE and a decent dust collector to protect your lungs.
    No sawdust is good to breathe!