Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any tips about buying a skid steer?

Any tips about buying a skid steer?

I'm thinking about buying a used skid steer. Any tips about buying one? I thought I wanted a compact track loader, but I have also been told a CTL will need expensive maintenance at under 2,000 hours in most cases. A skid steer is supposed to a lot longer before need repairs and the repairs are less expensive. (The guy who told me this makes a living buying and fixing up skid steers and CTLs for a living.) A skid steer also needs less space to turn around. The main reason I was thinking CTL was to not tear up my grass when I drive out on the grass.

I am getting to be too old to lift heavy things. I mainly want this to move and lift stuff around my property. I have other things I would rather spend money on, but I also don't want to get hurt lifting things either.

What is the heaviest thing you have to lift?

If it’s just for lifting, look at compact articulated loaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    If it’s just for lifting, look at compact articulated loaders.
    I agree with Tom, plus a small loader is safer to operate.

I would like to be able to lift one ton to lift occasional pallets. Those compact loaders are pretty pricey like $35,000. Skid steers are everywhere used compared to compact loaders. A skid steer I could also rent various attachments to do work around my property.

I considered a forklift, but an outdoor forklift is usually so big I wouldn't be able to maneuver it very well. I've seen what happens to a forklift that is mostly designed for indoor use when they are used outdoors.

If you're talking about getting something to lift and move things that it sounds like you used to do yourself then it seems like you are not talking about that much weight. A small compact tractor with a loader can lift 1000 pounds. And if you have one with turf tires it will not hurt your lawn. A skid steer can turn on it's axis but I can't ever imagine that you might need to do that. If you lift something and move it to a spot all you have to do is back up. I can tell you that any skid steer whether it has wheels or tracks will tear up your lawn if you pivot with it. Skid steers and tractors, like all vehicles, require periodic maintenance and I can't see that cost being much different between the two. And good maintenance will reduce or even eliminate most repairs. Both of these utility vehicles have attachments, like pallet forks and grapples, that you can use for other tasks.

Brian, your last post must have come on while I was still typing my last one. You mention 2000 pounds now and a tractor loader can do that and new will cost you near the price you mention. But it sounds like you are comparing apples to oranges with a new tractor loader to a used skid steer. A used tractor loader will not be that much, albeit that it likely will be more than a used skid steer. But that is because tractors hold their value much better which may be a consideration for you down the road. As far as attachments, any rental place will have attachments for a tractor loader.

Tom King is suggesting a compact articulated loader, not a tractor. Something like a Bobcat L23. Compact articulated loaders are pretty hard to find on the used market and I can't afford a new one. If I am going to buy something I want it to be capable of lifting something like a pallet of retaining wall block if necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’ve used both a skid steer and a CTL in my yard. You can tear up the lawn with either very easily. A skid steer will be more likely to cause ruts, but a CTL will rip the sod off the soil unless you only turn very gradually. Either can turn in its footprint, though.

Since you’re in MN, I can say this—a skid steer will do much better in the snow, and a push box can be a thing of beauty when used correctly. I once cleared 4” of snow in most of the driveways in a 64-unit duplex neighborhood in about 2 hours with a CTL and a push box. Most of the driveways were 4 cars wide. But I did spend a good bit of time spinning the tracks… Not that tires won’t spin, but they do get better traction in the snow.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

A small compact tractor with a loader, and I had a used old John Deere 650 was so handy when we had our lake place. Yes you can buy or make forks for it.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

My only addition to this thread is to mention that not all (older, used) skid steers have aux hydraulics for attachments that require them, like a post hole auger or some grapples. So if you think you might want to use a powered attachment, make sure whatever you buy has the aux hydraulics to handle them. And if you want to lift a ton, you are probably going to need extra weight in the back, so make sure there are provisions for that.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Honestly, any of the machines you are looking at have expensive maintenance costs. We have a John Deere 310K backhoe which has been a wonder on our family place. It is used constantly to lift items, from tree trunks to machinery. It has served as a ladder a few times too. It was purchased used with around 2,300 hours on it. The dealer did service on it before sale and I was shocked at what simple filter and fluid changes cost. However, unless you can do all the work yourself, if something like a hydraulic cylinder goes out it's thousands of dollars (JD part $5k for our main boom cylinder, aftermarket around $2k). Tires are $500 to $1k each. Hydraulic fluid and grease are expensive. Diesel burns away faster than you'd think. LOL

My only advice would be to research the unit you are considering until your head is swirling. That way you know what the most likely failure items are and what the expected costs may be. Would suck to buy that used unit and have to immediately drop another $5k on a main cylinder. As mentioned above, for your usage a mid-sized tractor with loader may prove more versatile and depending on terrain maybe even more stable given a longer wheel base.

think real hard about getting in and out of the cab, can't safely do it when the load is not on the ground
    compact articulated loader you can get in and out with the load part way up in the air

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    think real hard about getting in and out of the cab, can't safely do it when the load is not on the ground
    compact articulated loader you can get in and out with the load part way up in the air
    The same is true for a compact tractor...easier access than a typical skid steer type machine. I'm using the fork accessories with my sub-compact tractor a lot these days for moving stuff. It certainly doesn't have the capacities you need, but it does prove the concept.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Not to hijack the thread but, what about irregular surfaces. I have a 15 to 20 degree grade on part of my land. Does one type versus another deal with working on angles better?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler