Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any tips about buying a skid steer?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    Brian, just fyi, Volvo's skid steer is the exact same machine as the JCB. They actually did a joint venture to develop the line of machines, built in the JCB plant in Savannah. Since I worked for Volvo at the time, I got to operate them often. They really are much safer than the original design.

Having said that, I would still prefer an L20 Volvo compact loader and BTW the attachments fit both.
    The Volvo skid steers made by JCB seem to be harder to find used than the real JCB skid steers. I looked at prices on the Volvo L20 loaders and they are pretty expensive. They are also pretty good size.

I am no expert but Caltrans seems to us tracked snow plows for deep snow. Less likely to tip and taller. Less likely to be pushed over or buried as deep if a snow bank collapses onto them.
    Ski area near me got 61' so far this season. Of course it has packed down to less then 1/2 of that depth. California snow in the high country. tends to stay all winter and not melt off until spring.
    Bill D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Even the “compact” wheel loaders are quite a bit bigger than a skid steer, and not inexpensive for even a used one. The small articulated loaders like the Bobcat L23 are a good size, but there are few used ones and used ones start at $30k.

I saw a JCB skid steer that was listed yesterday for a good price, but the listing seems to be gone now. I don’t think it was a scam because it wasn’t a brand new looking machine for a super low price. It had definitely seen some use.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Even the “compact” wheel loaders are quite a bit bigger than a skid steer, and not inexpensive for even a used one. The small articulated loaders like the Bobcat L23 are a good size, but there are few used ones and used ones start at $30k.

I saw a JCB skid steer that was listed yesterday for a good price, but the listing seems to be gone now. I don’t think it was a scam because it wasn’t a brand new looking machine for a super low price. It had definitely seen some use.
    I paid $6,000 for a used John Deere 650 with a loader.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    I recently bid a job that required "something" to lift heavy pallets on my gravel lot. I looked and talked to a lot of people and eventually, I kept finding myself looking at bigger tractors. Maybe not huge, but farm tractors (like ones used to stack hay). They seemed to have the most bang for buck and, ultimately, the most options.

The skid steers are cool.. for dirt and gravel. I don't want one for a fork lift. Can you even exit the machine to check on a raised load?

The small tractors are nice.. except they are very expensive and can only lift 1000 lbs.

The outdoor forklifts are pretty dang tempting (Harlo style), but again, they are super expensive and they can only do one thing.

The outdoor telescoping forklifts are amazing. But the prices are 6 figures.

So... I just kept coming back to larger tractors used on a farm. 3 point hitches w/ PTO, tons of HP, tons of lift capacity, and definitely the best bang for the buck.

Here's two "near" me that seem worth a look if I wanted "something" to lift pallets and move dirt:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/70533603

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/71398110
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 04-09-2023 at 10:43 AM.

"So... I just kept coming back to larger tractors used on a farm. 3 point hitches w/ PTO, tons of HP, tons of lift capacity, and definitely the best bang for the buck."

Hard to impossible to see where the forks are at, take a lot of room to
    maneuver, can need expensive repairs, need rear weights added, 1000lbs on rear bare minimum, 2000lbs is better, seen some with around 5k on the back. Front axles break when overloaded. nothing like having the back corner or the complete rear end of the tractor come off the ground and wondering how high it will get or will it even stop. Lots of farm tractors used for what you want and lots of owners have moved on to telehandlers, articulated loaders, compact trac loaders etc and got rid of the farm tractors. Sure beats having nothing.

every option has it's pluses and minuses. they all can be dangerous to deadly if not handled properly and with respect. Skid steers can end up face down, on the back. all can end up on the side, etc.

WEAR THE SEAT BELT, HAVE A ROLL BAR, MINIMUM, ROLL CAGE IS BETTER

If money was no object, then a compact articulated loader best meets what you have written as requirements.

However I get the feeling that money has a big say in what you buy. Think hard, search far and have it carefully checked over by a good mechanic familiar with the machine before buying it.

Good luck
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 04-09-2023 at 11:12 AM.

Not sure how it works but in California smog laws can make an older diesel engine machine unsellable. Under like 35 HP no problems. You say only in Californioa but your state or the feds could change that tomorrow.
    I have seen diesel machines at auction to be sold only to those who have proof they will take them out of state. Things like fork lifts, stump grinders, fire trucks, irrigation pumps etc. Not just stuff with a license plate.
    Starting january 1,2023. 2009 and older diesel trucks are stopped at the California border.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-09-2023 at 11:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yep. Obviously everything has down sides. But a 25k to 30k compact tractor (which is what they go for around here used) vs a 12k - 15k beat up farm tractor...

I never had to pull the trigger, maybe if I did I'd have buyer's regret. I'm just saying that, like wanting single phase equipment, you can sometimes limit yourself to the things everyone wants and end up paying a much higher premium.

In the case of tractors, the cost per HP / cost per lift capability for a small tractor is very high. So I guess ask yourself how much you care about losing SOME efficiency in daily operation vs having the BEST tool (if money were no object).

I really need to stay at $20,000 for this. Some of the Chinese loaders would meet this requirement if I imported one directly from China. The problem is what happens when you need parts? You can buy Chinese loaders from dealers in the USA, but they aren't that much cheaper than the Bobcat loaders. The Chinese loaders sold in the USA seem to be over $30,000, but they typically have Kubota or other brand name diesel engines instead of some no name Chinese diesel engine you get when importing direct from China. Cast Loaders are made in Italy and seem to be decent units, but they cost close to $40,000 new. They have only been imported for about fives year and the cheapest used is still $30,000.

Yes, you can get dirt cheap skid steers under $10,000, but they are usually older than dirt and some even have gas engines. Some of the really old ones are brands no longer made so who knows if you can parts? I've purchased really old stuff with lots of hours and been burned badly. The cheap upfront cost can end up costing a lot by the time you reaplce all the failing parts, if you can even get the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I recently bid a job that required "something" to lift heavy pallets on my gravel lot. I looked and talked to a lot of people and eventually, I kept finding myself looking at bigger tractors. Maybe not huge, but farm tractors (like ones used to stack hay). They seemed to have the most bang for buck and, ultimately, the most options.
    A regular farm tractor may be cheap (haven't checked), but they are way too big for my property. They also tend to require a lot of space to maneuver and I don't have that space. Right now I have pallets of building material stacked on the concrete portion of my driveway. That section is 22 feet wide. It would be pretty much impossible to use a farm tract to move those pallets around without driving on my lawn. A skid steer would barely be able to do the job.

I have been looking at Volvo and JCB skid steers with the side door where it is easier to get in and out of the cab. I wasn't even thinking about the dangers of possibly being under a load getting in and out when I started looking at the JCB skid steers.

Brian, probably way out of your price range however take a look at Hummerbee Classic. Just ran across the add, looks like it would be exactly what you want IF you could find a used one.

Ron

The only price I could find online for the Hummerbee Classic is $74,000. Nice product, but I could find a number of nice products for less money with better local support for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The only price I could find online for the Hummerbee Classic is $74,000. Nice product, but I could find a number of nice products for less money with better local support for that price.
    Never thought it would be that much, looked like exactly what you want.
    NO way at that price, probably no used around either as they would get snatched up fast.

What about a Bobcat Toolcat. Might be able to find one close to your price point. Rated to lift 1,500 it says. Little less than your goal, but still a lot of weight and a versatile looking tool.

https://res.cloudinary.com/doosan-bo...k-machines.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7382716540028/

One thing I haven't saw mentioned is anything on tracks will "pitch" when you traverse any lip, drop off, or even a small ridge. It's just the nature of the beast. The faster you are traveling the more violent it is. A skid steer on tracks is more capable of lifting because the fulcrum point is further forward. The Tracks do increase lifting capacity because the forward idler is right at the front of the machine.