Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Any tips about buying a skid steer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I think the compact articulated Italian grape tractors are cute. No idea if thy can have forks or not.
    BilL D

https://www.avanttecno.com/us/machin...SAAEgIqZvD_BwE
    I have looked at Avant. They are made in Finland. It looks like they are around $40,000 new. There are two used ones locally for just over $20,000, but neither seller is including a bucket or forks. At least one of the sellers is getting a new Avant and stepping up to a larger unit so they are keeping the attachments.

Cast is a small loader made in Italy that is similar to Avant, but Cast articulates differently than most articulated loaders. I have no idea how that affects the operations of the machine.

The ability to lift 2,000 pounds is more of a want rather than a need. I saw that a lot of skid steers can lift that much or more so I thought that would be a good goal. I think the reality is 1,000 to 1,250 pounds would be enough to cover 90% of my needs. I might need a lot more if I ever remove the engine from my motorhome, but I can rent something. Nothing I can buy short of a full sized telehandler or a large all terrain forklift would be able to lift the 3,000+ pounds the engine weighs. The small wheel loaders don't have much hydraulic flow and can't handle all the same attachments as most skid loaders.

The compact telehandlers seem to be a newer thing and are a lot more rare than a full sized telehandler. I almost never see these used.

Here is what I was thinking I might do with a machine: Lift and move stuff. Move dirt around the yard instead of a wheelbarrow. Lift small logs. Rent an auger and drill holes (very rare). Rent a brush cutter attachment (Maybe once or twice ever so not a priority.). Maybe a snow blower. Move snow in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The ability to lift 2,000 pounds is more of a want.

Here is what I was thinking I might do with a machine: Lift and move stuff. Move dirt around the yard instead of a wheelbarrow. Lift small logs. Rent an auger and drill holes (very rare). Rent a brush cutter attachment (Maybe once or twice ever so not a priority.). Maybe a snow blower. Move snow in the winter.
    You just described a 40-60 hp compact utility tractor with the 2000 lb loader capacity. In reality, a smaller tractor (30-40 hp) with 1000 lb loader capacity is more than most homeowners with <10 acres will ever use plus you can fit those with a belly mower or just about any sort of 3-point hitch attachment (tiller, post hole digger, blade, box blade, mower, etc) that a property owner might want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    You just described a 40-60 hp compact utility tractor with the 2000 lb loader capacity. In reality, a smaller tractor (30-40 hp) with 1000 lb loader capacity is more than most homeowners with <10 acres will ever use plus you can fit those with a belly mower or just about any sort of 3-point hitch attachment (tiller, post hole digger, blade, box blade, mower, etc) that a property owner might want to use.
    I agree. A 3000 series JD would be about perfect. Not as big as our 5000 series, so much easier to maneuver, but larger than the smaller 1000 & 2000 series. Brand new, before the loader, it’s in your price range, so used ought to be just about right priced. https://e-marketing.deere.com/AddAcc...3SER_5211_6211

If you pair up the right loader and right model 3000, you can get 1,283 lb lift capacity.

https://www.deere.com/en/loaders/fro...s/300e-loader/

https://www.deere.com/en/loaders/fro...-for-tractors/

Something like this one with only 200 hours on it for $20,500. Probably some similar nearer to you. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1236281200647/
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-11-2023 at 1:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    skid steer for less than 15k:

https://www.equipmenttrader.com/list...763-5024858381

Also, check out this sweet little thing. Never heard of it before:

https://www.equipmenttrader.com/list...Eco-5022789448

Sherpa? I assume made in India.
    A tractor is like many tools you buy. The tractor costs one amount. All the accessories can add up to as much or more then then first purchase cost.
    It is cheaper to buy a used tractor with extra accessories then to buy them separately. Get a fEL, mower/brushhog, scraper blade, post hole digger etc in one package that all fits the machine. This also avoids having to figure out how and where to mount the extra hydraulic controls.
    Some companies sell used tractors with accessories included. They may have a package deal including some new and used accessories included as well as a new trailer to tow it all home with.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-11-2023 at 8:24 PM.

The Sherpa units are made in the Netherlands. That unit lifts less than 1,000 pounds so a bit small for what I am looking for. There are plenty of these like the Toro Dingo.

there are plenty of cheap skid steers. The folks here have recommended I not buy a skid steer except maybe the JCB/Volvo units with the door on the side.

What motorhome do you have that the engine weighs 3000 lbs? That’s well into Class 8/heavy duty truck territory (semi tractors).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

The ability to lift 2,000 pounds is more of a want rather than a need. I saw that a lot of skid steers can lift that much or more so I thought that would be a good goal. I think the reality is 1,000 to 1,250 pounds would be enough to cover 90% of my needs. I
    I think the 90% might be key. Buy something that will do 90% of what you need, rent to cover the rest. As far as removing the engine, 2 ton engine hoists are pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    What motorhome do you have that the engine weighs 3000 lbs? That’s well into Class 8/heavy duty truck territory (semi tractors).
    I'm guessing it's either a Super C (like Dynamax, Newmar, Renegade, Seneca, etc) built on a Freightliner chasis, or maybe a custom Super C built on a Semi Tractor. On the other hand, a 400 to 600 hp diesel in a 45' diesel pusher might weigh that much too. Regardless, I doubt the V-10 in our 35' gas motorhome weighs anywhere near that, even with the transmission included.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Coach bus with Detroit Series 60 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I think the 90% might be key. Buy something that will do 90% of what you need, rent to cover the rest. As far as removing the engine, 2 ton engine hoists are pretty cheap.
    You aren't pulling the engine out of a coach bus with an engine hoist. There is only a few inches of clearance above the engine. Machinery of some sort is generally used and most often a forklift. Many coach buses have a engine cradle to make removing the engine a lot easier, but mine does not.

Ah, you got a big boy motorhome............. That makes my 35' gasser look like a tinker toy. LOL Would love to have one of the new custom Prevost builds that many companies make, but not going to be in my budget unless I win the lottery.

But, to respond to a comment you made earlier, you sure as heck don't want to be dragging a rental equipment trailer around with that sucker. What a pain in the butt that would be just to rent a skid steer for a weekend.

Coach bus with Detroit Series 60 engine.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-12-2023 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Ah, you got a big boy motorhome............. That makes my 35' gasser look like a tinker toy. LOL Would love to have one of the new custom Prevost builds that many companies make, but not going to be in my budget unless I win the lottery.

But, to respond to a comment you made earlier, you sure as heck don't want to be dragging a rental equipment trailer around with that sucker. What a pain in the butt that would be just to rent a skid steer for a weekend.
    I will use the motorhome to fetch something from a rental center one to three times per year, but yes it is a pain. Even more since I have to plan ahead and get the liability insurance activated beforehand. Mine is nothing like a Prevost. It is a 1995 that I converted myself. What I spent would be a down payment for most Prevost motorhomes.

I will use the motorhome to fetch something from a rental center one to three times per year, but yes it is a pain. Even more since I have to plan ahead and get the liability insurance activated beforehand. Mine is nothing like a Prevost. It is a 1995 that I converted myself. What I spent would be a down payment for most Prevost motorhomes.
    Yes, its shocking what these things cost these days. One thing I learned with our progression from bumper pull to 5th wheel to motorhome is that you never pay retail or sticker price. Other than maybe during supply shortages during CoVid, you should be getting 30 to 45 percent off the retail/sticker price. If not, keep shopping. We bought our 2017 Jayco Precept UP35 back in January 2018 at a large RV show. We got 40% of the sticker price and it still cost a fortune. I know they had plenty of mark-up in it even at that price though because they took my F-350 and 5th wheel on trade for my asking price, sight-unseen. That industry is like the auto industry on steroids I'm afraid and the build quality control on most is left to the purchaser to QC. We don't drive ours as much as we used to, but we still stay in it quite a bit. But, I hate dragging our 14' trailer and Polaris Ranger behind it because it becomes so long I can't get into any gas stations. Yours may be easier since you can go to the Semi lanes at a truck stop though. Cheers.