Thread: PVC & carriage bolts

PVC & carriage bolts

I am building a fence using PVC planks. I plan to attach them with carriage bolts. Will the carriage bolts suck into the PVC or should I use traditional bolt beads? Has anyone have experience with this?
    Last edited by kevin nee; 04-07-2023 at 7:17 AM. Reason: Spelling

They will suck in just fine. And pull right through if you get heavy handed with the impact wrench. This is assuming you are talking about cellular PVC and not composite decking material.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Yes, you can use them, but Paul's advice to be cautious as you tighten them down is valid. You want them snug for sure, but you don't want them to either pull through or start spinning around by "stripping" out the pilot hole.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

1/4" carriage bolts have head diameters around 9/16"
    1/4" elevator bolts have head diameters around 1". Triples the surface area if my math is correct.

Just an option. Both Bolt Depot and McM-Carr have them in stainless. I'm sure others do also - those two are where I go rummaging.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Just curious what you are using the fence for. If horses, goats, pigs or cows PVC might not be adequate. For rodents or chickens or even dogs or neighbors it should be perfect.

I would worry about getting them back out when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I would worry about getting them back out when the time comes.
    Yeah - that was my thinking on the elevator bolts. Wide-ish diameter head; back side of head is slightly convex; total head thickness 3/32". Thinking spread the load with convex head might ride the surface better than basic carriage bolt.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Or use dome head bolts with an Allen drive socket. Not sure of the name of that head shape. Can use a fender washer under the head to spread the load.
    Bill D

edit: socket head cap screw? But at least two different heads under that one name. SHCS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-14-2023 at 11:19 AM.

Fillister head bolt, Bill.