Thread: Square D QO Breaker panel recall

Square D QO Breaker panel recall

Posted here since it is more likely to be seen then in the shops section. Moderaters feel free to move it.
    I got a physical letter in the mail yesterday from Schneider Electric, owner of Square D. Possible overheating and fire hazard.
    QO plug on neutral load center have an issue from Febuary 2020 - January 2022. They will send a tech out to fix it for free.
    My reading is it seems a bonding screw connecting the neutral buss to the special plug on neutral setup could be loose. I will just check mine with a screw driver.
    To be honest I am not sure if mine has the special plug on neutral or not. My breakers are older and do not use the neutral bar, if any.
    I think the plug on neutral is only used by GFCI and arc fault breakers
    Bill D

http://se.com/us/qoloadcenter-safetynotice
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-07-2023 at 11:07 AM.

Makes me glad I used better quality panels, for a long time Cutler-Hammer CH were last decent residential/light commercial loadcenters, although they went to the dark side too because of Snake Oil AFCI's & the need for plug on neutrals, plus a massive expansion of GFCI requirements, one which had to walked back by a few years in a number of States because it blew up in their faces (the NFPA who produce the NEC).

I still like the square D QO panels. Made since 1955 so lots of long term testing has shown no inherent problems. Cheap and easy to find breakers.
    Bill D

Square D QO has always been considered one of the better electrical panels. I would go with Square D QO if I didn't already have Siemens and all the expensive AFCI and GFCI breakers.

I put a QO panel in the house here a year ago, but it was an older one I got NOS on eBay, since I couldn't get a new one at that time from the box stores. It doesn't have plug on neutral, so I guess this doesn't apply to me. It's been a good setup so far.

Plug on neutral only applies to newer special arc fault and GFCi breakers that have onboard connectors for the neutral rail. The older style with a white pigtail are not affected.
    I looked at mine and there are two screws on each side at the top of the neutral rail bonding it to the main neutral lug. So a total of four screws to torque. None of my GFCI breakers use the neutral rail So it does not really matter. I will get in there when it is warmer and check them.
    I had to replace my 30 amp, 240 volt GFCI breakers since they tripped out on my air compressor and vfd driving the drill press. The 20 amp 120 volt ones for bench plugs work fine.
    Bill D
    Bill D
    Bill D