Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SawStop suspicion

I think that at least some youtubers who use SawStop saws got them for free or at least got a good deal on them. But I've noticed several saying one way or the other. Some of you may know Home Depot has a "Seeds" program that is invitation only. I was lucky enough to be picked several years ago. It has not included any SawStops or similar value tools but sometimes have appliances with similar value. At least once a month I get an email and asked to pick items I want them to send me. For free. I have to write a review within 20 days of when they send the item and it has to have several pictures. For expensive items they seem to require more. I have not gotten anything really nice for months but over the years I've received quite a few nice Milwaukee tools and other nice items. I said all this not to create any envy but to say I have a little related experience. I tend to rate the "free" items I get well but only if that is what I think. I don't get long to use them but try to use them at least a little before writing the review. The fact that you got something free or for a great deal tends to influence most people to think positively about the item. But if it is junk, I say so. I've never been penalized for it.

So I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. I don't think they would continue to use a saw they didn't like. I really like my PCS (paid full price). Used it today. I think it is a "high end" saw in terms of construction and accuracy ignoring the safety features. The safety features can be a little annoying sometimes but they also saved at least part of one of my fingers when I got stupid. After several decades of "not a scratch" experience with table saws. If your budget allows, I think they are a good choice.

Just another Sawstop thread with the same old comments. Why does it bother people if someone has a Sawstop?

The yankee workshop had free tools from porter-cable. If Norm used a none PC tool the name was duct taped over.
    On the old FBI Show the cars were provided by Ford. The crooks drove Chevies or sometimes Dodge. Credits were Mr Zimbalists suits by Perry Ellis or some such designer.
    Watch a movie or tv show and any drink can or bottle is set down so the label faces the camera.
    They say Mexican soap operas are worse. The house wives will be talking and one will mention she bought a new whirlpool washing machine and she loves it. Not related to the plot development or anything. Not totally unrelated their to life. Just any brand would do or no brand mentioned.
    There is a line in a Alexander McCall Smith book where the ladies are standing around admiring and discussing the features of her new washing machine. They mention that men will discuss cars for hours but are not interested in washing machines or sewing machines which are also complicated tools.
    Bill D

I have to admit I have noticed the almost uniform use of SS on videos. Smart marketing. But, as I have said before and learned on the bench at a hearing years ago between Bosch and SS, the table saw industry is worth about $400M per year and it causes $2B plus in injuries. As inept and clumsy as I sometimes am, I am grateful to the protection offered. Plus, the dust collection is nice and to me anyway, the fence is a joy on my 3 hp PCS with the 52” fence. Have to posit the pros on the videos discovered that also. Regardless, this was a thoughtful thread and some decent comments.

Hi Robert, no idea if the people received some sort of support to change saws, however even if they didn’t, it’s a smart move.

As an example, I recently purchased a 40/50mm Euroblock shaper cutter with chip limitation to replace my old one.

Why?

I often provide machine training via Zoom so I wasn’t about to use a non MAN rated cutter in a demonstration environment.

It probably is the same for those providing training via YouTube

Regards, Rod

I was thinking a similar thing, Rod. Presenting is all about appearance sometimes, and subsidy or not, using equipment that's is safer (or perceived safer) is a good thing for content creators.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for all of the replies. It doesn't sound like there are any life changing features on the SawStop as far as performance without taking into account safety. I suppose that I'd consider getting one if I was in the market for a new saw but I really love my current saw. Sorry for the accidents I'm hearing about. I'd bet if I lost a digit or two my wife would switch out my saws while I'm at work.

Probably helps that SawStop saws are high quality and reasonably priced compared to their non-SS equivalent.

Perhaps more people find their brake technology valuable?

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Probably helps that SawStop saws are high quality and reasonably priced compared to their non-SS equivalent.

Perhaps more people find their brake technology valuable?
    The cabinet saws are indeed well made....the PCS I used in my temporary gara-shop (which now lives in another 'Creeker's shop) was very solid and well made. So there's no downside to having a good machine with the added safety feature, IMHO. I will admit that I did spend more time than I would have preferred worrying about not inadvertently setting off the safety feature for some stupid reason other than saving a digit or three, so I'm glad I'm back to the slider in the new shop where I mostly avoid having my hands anywhere near the blade at all.

This trend with content creators can go in the other direction, too. I know of one that I follow that just sold his SS and is moving to a short stroke slider.
    --

Yes, some of them have gotten SawStops for free, and admitted it on camera to be clear.

I think some of them have bought them with their own money because it's an excellent saw. A lot of them bought it for the safety feature. And I'm sure some of them have also done it because it's the hip, trendy thing to do. The few major YouTubers without SawStops all seemed to have sponsorships from other companies. The Wood Whisperer/Powermatic is probably the best known, but I also think there was Grizzly sponsored Woodworker a while ago.

The only major YouTube woodworker I'm aware of who does not have a sawstop, or a sponsorship deal would be Mike Farrington, and he has a slider, which is not a cabinet saw.

As for it's ubiquity, it's a small market, and it has a unique feature. I think the Rigid oscillating sander is in a similar position. Almost every YouTube woodworker I follow has one, unless they've got some old iron monster. It's because it's a good product at a excellent price in a niche with few competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    The Wood Whisperer/Powermatic is probably the best known,
    Marc lost his sponsorship from PowerMatic about a year ago. He uses a Sawstop for a table saw, has a "yuge" Felder planer, etc. I do believe that sponsorship entered into a number of the new tools in his new converted firehouse shop, too.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Marc lost his sponsorship from PowerMatic about a year ago. He uses a Sawstop for a table saw, has a "yuge" Felder planer, etc. I do believe that sponsorship entered into a number of the new tools in his new converted firehouse shop, too.
    Yes, I'm aware. I guess I should have been a bit clearer that before his change over to SawStop he was running a sponsored Powermatic shop, and thus had a Powermatic table saw. He did do a review before the change and said "If you want the safety feature of the SawStop then there is only one option" or something to that effect. I'm not surprised that he changed when the Powermatic sponsorship ended, I almost wonder if he didn't get into trouble with Powermatic about it at the time.

I bought a SawStop.

IMO, its the best table saw on the market AND it won't cut your finger off. I think, assuming one has the cash and has to pay for a table saw, its a no brainer to buy a SawStop (unless you go the slider route). Yeah, its more expensive. But its way cheaper than reattaching a finger. Combine that with the build quality? Take everything but price out of the equation and I wouldn't buy anything else.

Now, if Powermatic wants to sponsor Jimmy's Woodshop, I'm all ears...

Quote Originally Posted by robert kempisty View Post
    This is simply my observation but I'm wondering if SawStop gives away their table saws to popular YouTube woodworkers. I've never used one but find it difficult to believe that every one of those channels suddenly decided to get rid of their expensive table saws and buy a SawStop. Is it just about safety of do these saws do something that My Delta Unisaw doesn't? I've tricked out my Unisaw with a fold up roller extension, under-mount router with it's own T-square slot and rolling base because my show doubles as a heated car repair space. For 25 years I've loved it and grin every time I use it and have never once even come close to injuring myself. I've seen channels with my same setup suddenly get replaced by a SawStop. Am I missing out on something?
    That's par for course.

FWIW, I think about what I can lose.
    I'm a dentist. I've seen 4 much smarter, more successful dentists their careers to a tablesaw.
    I bought a used Sawstop off craigslist, and haven't looked back.

Some good discussion here.

My take is that a person trying to make a living as a woodworking content creator on YT, with the long hours and extra repetitive power tool work required by camera setups and resets, would be crazy not to insure their continued livelihood by using a SS.

Mike Farrington is one of my favorites, but he is passively recording his regular business work, unlike some other WW youtubers I watch. Think of the distraction of having a camera person hovering over every operation - even if the camera is static for a shot.
    Last edited by Marc Fenneuff; 04-24-2023 at 11:56 PM.