Thread: Which type of glue

Which type of glue

I'm making a small box for a four year old and want to use magnets to hold the sliding lid shut. I was thinking of using CA glue to glue the magnets in. Is that a good choice or should I use something else?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I think CA glue will hold fine.
    Even tho a 4 year old boy can be more destructive then a room full of beer drinking ruffians.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Whatever you use make sure the magnets don’t come loose. You don’t want the child to ingest two magnets. Ones might be no issue, but there have been cases where a child "ate” two small magnets that ended up sticking together with intestine walls in between, requiring surgical intervention.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I would use epoxy, not CA clue for a young child's toy. You want to make 100% sure that magnet can't come out and go into their mouth.

While CA glue or epoxy is probably "ok", I don't like the idea of exposed (strong) magnets and kids. Part of it is probably due to my day job in healthcare.

If the design allows, I might try to use a magnet with a screw hole or potentially set the magnet in the recess and cover it with a wood plug.

I suggest epoxy along with covering the magnet with a wood plug or dutchman glued in place with epoxy or PVA glue. Depending upon the box design, the patch could be quite decorative. Think routed strip inlay with magnet counter sunk beneath it.

You can buy disc magnets with a hole through them so you can mount them with a screw. K&J is one supplier. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=15

1 idea is to have only 1 magnet and use something iron for it to grab on. That would limit the issue.

Another Idea is to get them extra strong and bury them in the wood. Some testing would be required the box walls would need to be sufficient to drill a hole to get them buried and have enough strength to function.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    1 idea is to have only 1 magnet and use something iron for it to grab on. That would limit the issue.

Another Idea is to get them extra strong and bury them in the wood. Some testing would be required the box walls would need to be sufficient to drill a hole to get them buried and have enough strength to function.
    I thought about using only one magnet. I'll have to experiment and see if it will work.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

You don't necessarily need to bury them. Flush fit the magnet and glue a thin strip of veneer over that particular edge so you don't even see the magnet.

Both ca and epoxy hold magnets better if you ruff up the surface with 150 to 180 grit. As already mentioned at least recessing for a flat or few 1000ths deep set is a good idea especially if using ca which has relatively low shear streangth. Not a fan of screws un less you also glue and recess it anyway.