Thread: Used Pontoon Cleaning

Used Pontoon Cleaning

We just purchased a used pontoon with aluminum floats. As its pretty normal around here because of the water, the aluminum needs a little freshening up. I was thinking a fine grit of Scotch Brite pads and even some for my 5 inch orbital sander?? Something better?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Here, people clean the aluminum with Muriatic acid. I think it's mainly to get the scum off below the waterline though. I've never participated closely, just heard people talking about it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Here, people clean the aluminum with Muriatic acid. I think it's mainly to get the scum off below the waterline though. I've never participated closely, just heard people talking about it.
    That would be my first step. Dilute to 50/50 and apply it with a garden sprayer. Works magic on the yellow stain and other organic stuff on the below-water portion of the pontoon. Wear a mask as the fumes are really tough on your lungs.
    NOW you tell me...

Pressure washer.

My BIL used Muriatic acid to do his pontoon boat. It worked great.
    The problem he had was leaving the boat and acid in his barn. In a couple days every tool he had was rusted.
    Do it outdoors.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I do not know if it applies to boats or not but...I was talking to my seat mate on a flight to Alaska. He repaired float plane pontoons for a living. He said he could build a exact copy float from scratch but he had no certification to sell one so he was willing to pay up to 5,000$ for a junk one that had it's ID tag. Just the tag was worth that much to him.
    Same idea as my brothers co-worker who bought a wrecked older MG car just for the vin number tag. That tag and ID was transfered to a newer MG so he could get rid of all the smog stuff. Those MGs did not change much for twenty years.
    Bill D