Thread: Metal Leaf Application Tutuorial

Metal Leaf Application Tutuorial

Steve Matthews started a thread because he needed advise on finish ideas after cracks appeared in his vase form. My comments about an application of metal leaf resulted in a couple of inquiries about the process and I thought it was best to just do a tutorial. It is attached and hopefully some will find it helpful, or at least interesting.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Left click my name for homepage link.

Thanks John for posting the tutorial. Looks to be much easier to apply than I had imagined.

Thanks so much for posting this John! I have all the materials already on hand, and a turned piece in maple, so I will have to give this a go.

This may seem counterintuitive, but if you store liquids like that, and others like poly, lacquer, etc. upside down, they will last a whole lot longer, because there will be no air exchanges within the container. The liquid blocks air from entering, and the only air in there is what’s in the container when you turn it over. I’ve been storing liquids upside down for years with great results. I’ve just recently decided to store my spray cans upside down! I’ll report back in a few years on the outcome .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Steve Matthews started a thread because he needed advise on finish ideas after cracks appeared in his vase form. My comments about an application of metal leaf resulted in a couple of inquiries about the process and I thought it was best to just do a tutorial. It is attached and hopefully some will find it helpful, or at least interesting.
    Thanks John. This is great! - it will be a big help getting started!

Be safe and stay well.
    Barry

Robert, it is very easy to do. Not counting the tacking time for the sizing, a lid can be done in a matter of minutes.

Walter, I am familiar with the upside down thing, but one has to remember to actually do it!!

Revision!!

My able co-instructor, Robert Henrickson, has pointed out a couple typos in my tutorial. I have corrected them and this is the revision.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks John! appreciate your sharing this. I hope to get to one of your classes some day at Campbell.

Ricc, you need to do it this fall as this is my last year to teach. However, Robert Henrickson will be carrying on our legacy!!!

Many thanks on your tutorial. I was anxiously awaiting your response yo my vase project and this far surpasses my expectations. I do have one question though. How much of this should I apply to the vase? Seems to me that too much may be overdoing it. The balance that you applied to the example shown in your tutorial seemed spot on.

Steve, I typically don’t cover the whole piece, but rather use it as an accent. Not really knowing what your finished form looks like I would hesitate to suggest anything. Once you get it off the lathe why don’t you email me a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Ricc, you need to do it this fall as this is my last year to teach. However, Robert Henrickson will be carrying on our legacy!!!
    Well shoot! I was hoping for next year. This fall My budget is shot with a Trent Bosch hollowing class and then a family vacation to Maine.