Thread: New Festool TS60 tracksaw

New Festool TS60 tracksaw

I'm ready to buy one! My TS55 is too small and my TS75 is too big.

When will this new saw be available in the U.S.? Nobody on the FOG seems to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZZLwXCgdo&t=10s

festool-TS-60-Track-Saw-Angled.jpg
    - Jason White
    YouTube.com/UncleJasonsWorkshop

Festool is just starting the public events that will be showing folks the new tools being released...first one is in California sometime this week. I would expect that availability information will come once those are underway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

According to this https://www.festoolusa.com/products/...JB72hjZJNUF9uw

The only thing really big news is a cordless Kapex.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I’m very happy with Mafell track saws, personally.

very helpful for non sheet goods and waterfall edges. I too rarely bring out my TS75, not sure why, its a great saw. Just a bit cumbersome I guess.
    The 60mm is corded though, as they wanted max. power at all times, (as per the FS video) which might be difficult to achieve with batteries considering the long run time of TS's vs. a Kapex.
    saw a video on FS site about it....
    More options are nice to have.
    But, I still love my Festool cordless TS55 though... the batteries IMO are not whats impressive, (actaully, very poor, high failure rate) other makers have matched that today...its the dust collection, 95%+ vs. a dedicated vac. So the freedom of cord/hose attachments is such a joy...and the light weight, ease of use, makes cutting down sheet goods vs. dealing with all the cords. Seemed I spent more time fussin with the cords then making the cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I’m very happy with Mafell track saws, personally.
    I upgraded my TS55 with a Mafell, and it's a night and day difference. Especially the tracks. But it's a beast. Weighs a ton.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I upgraded my TS55 with a Mafell, and it's a night and day difference. Especially the tracks. But it's a beast. Weighs a ton.
    Would love to hear more!

I too would love to hear more about benefits of Maffel over Festool...
    never used one in person, but I am quite curious....

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Getting off subject, but how does the Maffel compare to the Bosch track saws?

Maffel is, AFAIK, considered a step up from Festool. But I also seem to remember there has been some cooperation at some point, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    There are a number of reviews comparing the two online. I would Google Mafell vs Festool.

Don't get me wrong. I've used my Festool TS55 a ton, but it bogs down on thick wood/plywood, and getting the track perfectly straight if you are joining two tracks is iffy at best (better to have single long tracks which I do also). I bought the Mafell after seriously considering the TS75. The newer models were just not available, and not even rumoured then. But happy with the choice I made.

The Mafell has FAR more power. It cuts up to 3-7/16" thick, and seems to do it with ease. I've gone through 12/4 hardwood with ease. This I would expect from a 3.1hp saw. Comes in its own case, sorta like a systainer, but I don't believe compatible for stacking them.

The Mafell guide track has a far better mechanism joining them. Bang-on straight every time. The lever clamps are well thought out and I purchased two Mafell carbide blades with it. This cost a serious chunk of change. Quite a bit more than the Festool, I would think, but it is a serious step up.

I have the Mafell K85EC. There is a cross-cutting system they sell too, but I didn't purchase that. Dust removal seems pretty good. Perhaps a little better than the Festool, but no track saw really does that terribly well. And very high build quality, which I would count on spending this much on a tool.

It is a beast. It weighs 16lbs.

Anyway, highly recommended if you want a quality track saw and envision cutting through thick materials. They do sell a smaller model. Not sure of the specs there, but assume quality is also top-notch.

HTH
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Ohhhh, the BIG Mafell is in a completely different league. Yes, 16lbs can be cumbersome of many people who are using the saw all day. Makita makes some big circ saws as well. Did not realize u were referring to that saw, vs. the smaller Mafell track saw more on par with the Festool.

Agree on track alignment with Festool, takes some tinkering to assure straightness, but lots of tricks and gadgets that simplify the process. I simply rid that annoyance with single tracks, yep more $.
    Track saws really fit the adage, horses for courses. One size does not fit all.

IMO, I think Festools new TS60 was created to overcome two complaints about Festool TS55, lack of power, which is why they went corded, and cut depth, mainly for bevel cuts, prob. servicing live edge slab waterfall edges, the current rage today.

I think the TS75 should have way more power...even bypassing the standard 15amp circuit, and requiring a 20amp circuit. 13amps is often undersized when you pick the TS75, i.e. thicker woods.

The thing I love about the TS55 cordless is how light weight is. Such a joy to use with no vac. The bag changes are FAST and simple. I am no Festool FanBoy, it has issues. Slightly under powered, batteries fail way too often even on Airstream chargers. Its possible the Makita can match it today, so it does not stand alone, like the Domino.

One thing I learned to accept with slightly under powered track saws. If I am cutting 3/4" ply, its doing what its designed to do, works great. But if I want to cut two sheets to assure identical sized parts and speed things up, its pushing the limits of the saw, u can get some burn marks. If I want speed and / or depth of cuts, the blade MUST be sharp, so keep a few on hand, and re sharpen often, as that makes all the difference. Everything is a compromise with tools