Thread: SWAG Portaband Base

SWAG Portaband Base

Can't tell you how many times I had to use my Bauer metal band saw and wished I had a base for it. Just a few days ago, I was cutting some metal tube for an MFT leg mod and needed that table again, so I finally broke down and bought one. This thing is really well made, heavy duty and fits like a glove. I'm ready now!

Thanks Derek. Good to hear. I've been eyeballing one of those for about 2 years. Now, I may just pull the trigger.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You're welcome. I got mine with an optional foot peddle cuz it's likely going to stay assembled all the time. I'll use it a lot cutting screws, angle iron, tube stock and more. I really was surprised at how heavy it is.

I just got the Bauer the other day when it went on sale for $99.
    I'm definitely looking into this for it.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

That little saw looks like it needs to be on my acquisition list as I plan on doing a little more with metal going into the future...and the base is nice to know about. Thanks!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is more elaborate than my Swag plate. Mine fits into a vice, so it is simply a plate with the 90* flange and can be on/off quickly. As I am really pressed for room now I kinda prefer my version of it, but Derek if I had more room I’d be on yours in a heartbeat. I do not have the foot pedal. I have the Velcro strap they ship with the plate. It is simple to use and not a hassle as the trigger is so accessible.

I am just finishing up a table mount for my Dewalt portable band saw. I had thought about an aftermarket table like the Swag, but decided on something more custom that could be mounted to my Certiflat welding table. As shown below, this allows me to cut longer pieces of metal using the welding table as support. I created a angle iron mount for the saw and a 3/16" plate for the saw table (black in photo). There are several Youtube videos out there on mounting a table to your portable band saw. I then used telescoping steel tubing to allow the saw to be mounted and removed from the welding table when not in use.....the saw table aligns perfectly with the welding table and the setup works great.
    IMG_1834.jpg

I would do that if I had more room, but then would probably have two saws, one in the stand and one for portable use.

My saw hangs on a door pull-type handle on the side of the bench, plugged in and ready.

I have thought of a larger Prota band. with the base. I have the M12 Bandsaw, works great, trying to figure out a base for it. Use it to cut bolts and conduit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    I have thought of a larger Prota band. with the base. I have the M12 Bandsaw, works great, trying to figure out a base for it. Use it to cut bolts and conduit.
    I have that M12 too. I wish there was a base for it, but I use that one for portable needs.