Thread: Shop Window Placement

Shop Window Placement

Those of you who read my previous thread found out that I'm building a new shop. This is going to be a detached 24'x36' building that will sit right beside my house. The walls will be 9' feet high and the ceiling will be vaulted. I want to make sure the shop has plenty of natural light. Meaning: lotsa windows and possibly some skylights. Not only am I looking for light to enter the space, but I would also like to be able to see out of the windows. The reason I mention that is because I have seen shops that have windows up high, which is nice, but I want to be able to see out. That said, not all windows in the shop need to be at eye level. I'm up for mixing it up. Assuming the door will be on the front 24' side and the back 24' side will have no windows, where would you place the windows on the other two sides? Although cost is a factor, let's ignore that for now. Sky's the limit.

Specifically: How many windows would you have? What size? How high? How much space between them (so I still have room to hang stuff)? What else should I be thinking about?

Before you say it, please don't recommend that I plan out the layout of the machines in the space and go from there. I have made an attempt at doing that but I know the layout is going to change once I get in there and work on a couple of projects. Therefore, I want to make sure the windows are placed in such a way that I can be flexible with my equipment.

Rob...put the "look out" windows where they will provide you with pleasing views and put windows higher up where you want the light but don't care to see what's outside of the wall. My own shop has a lot of windows (there were there when we bought the property) and while it compromises wall space, it's definitely a joy to have lots of natural light during the day. And frankly, one doesn't need to store things on the wall...there is no "rule" that says you do!

Do make your windows energy efficient...'same goes for your structure. It makes for more comfort in all seasons and keeps the heatling and cooling bills lower when you need to do either for comfort.

There is no way to guide you about how many and what kind without actually seeing the site...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would say that it depends on how high the crime rate is or will go in your area. I would have a tendency to put the windows up high for light & so "they" can't see in to see what you have to steel. But then when I'm in the shop I usually don't look out very much anyway because the building isn't mine & doesn't have any windows. Plus the fact that I am concentrating on what I am doing.

Its either that or make swing down covers for the windows for when your not in the shop. If not carry plenty of insurance.

Sorry I'm not very trusting I've seen an empty shop that had lots of tools come up missing.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-29-2006 at 11:59 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

My first thoughts are you need to consider when you work and how much having a window in front of you could be distracting.

The when: do you work morning, noon, evening? If you generally work evenings then an east facing window would be pointless for sunlight. However, a west facing window would give great raking light that would be perfect for putting the final surface on a project.

The distraction factor: I'd personally rather not have a window in front of me when doing some ripping on the table saw. The possibility of something catching my eye in the middle of a cut doesn't thrill me. One over my bench could be nice though.

Hard to say for sure without knowing the building orientation, roof overhang, and exact location of the windows. It's possible to have too much of a good thing. Instead of dark and shadow you could be plagued with too much light and glare and that solar gain that feels so good on a winter day can have you cookin' like a chicken in the summer without the right overhang and window location and size. I've always liked northern light to work by......... it's a softer, more gentle light- not overpowering with glare that light from a southern exposure can sometimes have. Plan your window size, location and roof overhang so you have the benefit of the solar gain during the cold winter months and during the summer months when the sun is "higher" in the sky the overhangs shade the window from the sun.

Tom Wales

Some thing I plan on doing in a couple of years when I build my house is, sky lights disguised as chimneys. Frame up a "chimney " install the light, and use fake rock to side the chimney. From the ground looks nice, and insode I have sunlight.
    Tom

I tend to prefer windows on the North and East; you can get lot's a heat and glare coming in south and west walls in the winter. I have the big roll-up door on the north wall, and like to open it wide when the weather is good (not for a few more months around these parts).

Rob , First I would like to welcome you to the "CREEK.

If everything goes right I will start building my new shop within the next year or so. It will be 26X36. Two windows aprox 31X55 will be on the long walls directly across from each other spaced evenly apart at the 12 ft and the 24 ft mark on the wall. They will be awning windows. the window on the frontof the shop will be an awning window about 31X31 The side wall windows will be mounted about 4 1/2 feet off the floor. The walls are going to be 10' high. No windows on the back of the shop because there is going to be too much stuff being attached to the back wall. That should give you some light but not too much. That will be a total of 5 windows and 1 door.

Mike
    Last edited by Michael Gibbons; 01-30-2006 at 4:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Baldwin
    My first thoughts are you need to consider when you work and how much having a window in front of you could be distracting.

The when: do you work morning, noon, evening? If you generally work evenings then an east facing window would be pointless for sunlight. However, a west facing window would give great raking light that would be perfect for putting the final surface on a project.

The distraction factor: I'd personally rather not have a window in front of me when doing some ripping on the table saw. The possibility of something catching my eye in the middle of a cut doesn't thrill me. One over my bench could be nice though.
    I agree with brett... also consider the style of building as well for window height

lou

The only thing I'll add to the comments you've received already is that in my shop (16 x 24) I have three windows all placed in the approximate location where I can use it in line with my table saw, planer and bandsaw outfeed side. I also placed them at the height of my workbenches. Makes them easier to get to and again, usable for bench extensions when needed. Good Luck.

Brad

shop windows

Hi Rob,
    I made my window selection based on the design of the building. I wanted it to look like an old barn yet still blend into the neighborhood, so I used evenly spaced smaller sized window on the more visible sides(like an old dairy barn), and I put large glass panels in the doors I made for the drive-in opening. Per code these had to be thermopanes and safety glass, and were a custom size--spendy. I added two 4'x4' skylights in the shed side of the shop and they let lots of light in. Definitely recommend them if you can find a place for them. The only down side is when the sun angle is just right I can't see a thing when using the TS, but that is infrequent and lasts just long enough to go get another Starbucks.

Initially I was dissappointed with the reduced wall space for hanging things, but I have placed shelves and tool hangers across the windows so I have light as well as easy access to hand tools.Good luck, John.