Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade options for a 6" jointer?

Upgrade options for a 6" jointer?

I have a Powermatic 50 6" jointer which I really like, but keep finding boards that I need to joint that are between 6" and 8" wide. I'm considering the upgrade options but think I'm overanalyzing things and can't decide which route makes the most sense. I'm a hobby woodworker with my shop squeezed into part of a one-car garage. I tend not to joint long boards so that's not really a concern. Options I've considered are:

1. Keep the PM50 and joint wider boards with the porkchop guard removed, and then plane it on a backer board.
    2. Look for a used PM60 or similar 8" jointer. The beds are bit long for my space, but I think I could make it fit.
    3. Look for used Inca 570 10-1/4" jointer planer. The beds are about 6" shorter than on my 6" jointer. I would keep my 15" planer and use this mostly as a jointer.
    4. Look for a used 12" Minimax or Hammer jointer-planer to replace my jointer and planer. It would likely be hard to find one of these in my area, and would likely be the most expensive option.

Any thoughts on which option might make the most sense?

Also a hobby woodworker in a garage, with space at a premium. I made the same mistake you did, buying a 6" jointer when I was just starting. I bought mine because it was inexpensive, small, and I didn't have 220V (yet). I realized it was too small after about a week, but continued using it for 2-3 years when I was finally ready for an upgrade. I had the DeWalt 735 planer as well. Of the choices you listed I would suggest the 12" Hammer combination machine. I ended up with the 16" but the 12" is really plenty - most hobby woodworkers have a 6" or 8". Having a wide jointer is fantastic and you will not be disappointed by the performance of this machine. You can get rid of the 735 and you will have two machines in the space of one for a very efficient use of space. Also suggest getting two extensions for the Hammer. The table extensions are removable so you can cram the machine into a small space but still have the use of really long tables when you need to joint long pieces. The other accessory I recommend is the analog dial indicator for the planer height - very useful. There is also a slot-mortisser attachment for the Hammer jointer-planer, not sure if that would be useful to you. If you can't swing the Hammer financially, I would recommend looking for a used 8" with a bigger motor for more power (usually requires 220V) and then hang on to the DeWalt benchtop planer.

Of your options, for me, it would be between (2) and (4).

I prefer stand alone units for reasons I will avoid, but if budget allows I think the A3-31 is a great candidate for what you're looking for. It's maybe a bit small on the planer side but there really isn't anything you can't build with it. Anyone that says otherwise is clueless. I would personally find the 41 annoying when jointing, but that's me. Only negative I had when testing the Hammer myself was the fence compared to something like your PM50, but otherwise it's a great unit. It just didn't feel sturdy, but it's a workable problem with technique.

If budget is a concern and your current planing solution is great, I'd keep the 6" until I could find a deal on an 8" and go that route. I'm a Powermatic fan but a stand alone jointer is a pretty simple machine so something from the usual suspects is good.

One final option to consider is a benchtop 8" jointer. If you find yourself needing 8" periodically, but not regularly, and the boards aren't too long, there are very affordable benchtop jointers from Jet, Wahuda, Rikon and I think Grizzly. This is likely the least expensive route.

The ideal setup in my mind is a small jointer and a big jointer.
    Small bandsaw and a big bandsaw.
    Same with planers. Since I don’t have room for all of the above I chose the larger machines.
    Good Luck
    Aj

If you go the used route do not overlook a machine that is listed as 3 phase. VFD's are not that expensive and are not that difficult to program. Used 3 phase machines are almost always cheaper than equivalent single phase machines in my area.

I'd go with a combo J/P, too, and that includes 10" Inca. I had one for over 25 years and made all kinds of projects with it, including some pretty large ones requiring jointing stuff over 8' long. The beds are short, true, but it will do a good job with added supports, when needed, and good technique. I really like the 1980 something MiniMax 14" combo unit I now have, but could just as easily continued using the Inca. If space is a premium, it's a great option.

John

I just upgraded from a 6" jet to a 8" Laguna model with carbide cutters. All I can say is, sure wish I would have done this years ago. The new machine is a pleasure to use. I actually find things to run over the machine, for no real reason other than it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I just upgraded from a 6" jet to a 8" Laguna model with carbide cutters. All I can say is, sure wish I would have done this years ago. The new machine is a pleasure to use. I actually find things to run over the machine, for no real reason other than it's fun.
    Which Laguna did you buy? Interested if anyone has tried the Quadtec 8”/1.75 HP 110v

Hi Greg,

Also in Moscow and also looking for to upgrade my jointer and planer. Like hunting for a unicorn around here for sure. There’s an 8” shop fox with straight knives on FB for $2k which is about retail…and that’s been about it for the past couple months…

Good luck!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Norton View Post
    Which Laguna did you buy? Interested if anyone has tried the Quadtec 8”/1.75 HP 110v
    JX/8 Shear Tech. https://lagunatools.com/classic/jointers/jx8-pro/

I have the Jet JJP-12 and am happy with it. At the time I bought it the price difference between Euro and Asian combo machines was substantial, like twice as expensive or more. I don't know if that's still the case today. Re jointer bed length, the Jet is 55". A rule of thumb is that it's practical to work stock 1.5 to 2 times the bed length. That works out 6.8' to 9'. That's long enough for my purposes. For people that make things like beds and entry doors it may not be.

Looking for the used options you mentioned is going to be a long wait. Lots of woodworkers are looking for those upgrade options after buying a 6" jointer first. I would base the decision on just how many board feet do you run a month. If you go months with no issue, then wait for the desirable upgrade used. If you run 100 bd ft every other week, buy new and move on.

I'm on and have been on the J/P combo bandwagon for a long time. They bring impressive capacities in a compact space for both face jointing and thicknessing that can be hard or impossible to do with separates in a small shop situation. But even for folks who have more space, they still bring good value for what they offer. There are folks who don't like the 60 second change over or don't like that the jointer beds are shorter, but neither is really a major issue with good planning and realistic lumber management. They are not great in that respect for production environments where separates clearly rule, of course, but for the "average" person? Very worthy. That's why they have become more and more popular. I've been using one since the mid 2000s and even with the larger shop space I have now, I love the machine...other than I'd like a larger one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I upgraded from a 6” Delta to an 8” Grizzly 490. Very happy with the machine but now in the two car space it is a lot. I’m still moving the pieces around and have to make it work so… The Grizzly moves very well, surprisingly so. If I could swing it I’d have the A3-31 in a minute but the 490 has been very good for my needs.

FWIW, right now the Hammer machines are a relative deal given the strong dollar and tariffs on asian machines. In fact, I recall that the A3-31 was going for ~$4,200 in 2010 or so (that' how long i've been pondering an upgrade!), which is only a couple hundred less than the current sale price.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra