Thread: GMC shifting problem

GMC shifting problem

Hello, I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 pick up truck. Lately the shift lever is locked when I try to put it in drive from Park. If I try it by stepping on the brake a couple times it will go into drive. It does not happen every time but I doubt it will fix itself. Any input would be appreciated.

First thing I would do is check transmission fluid, while it’s hot.

I don’t know about that transmission, but my computer controlled Alison starts gettin flakey when the batteries are near end of life.

Does the tranny designation have an “E” on the end of it? If so, might be same issue

it sounds like the bushing in the steering column, or the steering wheel lock could be the issue. try turning the wheel a bit while this is happening. see if that makes it come out of lock. It could be the key switch as well.
    the other problem could be the parking pawl in the transmission, do you park on hills a lot without using the parking brake?

every GM transmission in the last 20 or so years ends with an E. 6l90E, 4l80E, 6l60E etc.

a 2011 1500 probably has a 6l80E

the Allison 1000 (LCT1000) is only in HD trucks. and does not end in an E

until you get the the new 10 speed in the HD trucks that is actually just a GM 10L90E or whatever but they call it a 10l1000 and say its "Allison" but its actually built by GM and follows their transmission architecture not Allison's.
    Last edited by Adam Herman; 04-17-2023 at 11:10 PM.

I thought all later model, auto trans vehicles had a device to lock the shifter in park until you put your foot on the brake. Part of the "unintended acceleration" fiasco.
    BillL

thats even on my 92 Wally wagon. Not sure about the 72 pickup.

I know that GMC and Chevy have a shift to park problem where it won't let you shut off the engine. Daughter had that happen and the dealers said oh well that will be so much to fix even though it still is under warranty. They claim it is not a problem but there are several law suits pending on it.

Both of our cars, a Honda Pilot and a Honda CRV, if you have the steering wheel turned at a aggressive angle when you shut the engine off, they may not want to shift back into Park. Taking the pressure off the steering column by turning into the same angle will allow you to shift.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Had that issue with a 2010 Grand Caravan and a 2008 Suzuki SX4. After my mechanic lubed and freed up the shift linkage they were fine. There should be a small square cover close to the shift lever that you can pop off and then push down in the hole with a small screwdriver or allen key and as you piush down you can move the gear shift out of park. Just something you can do to get the lever out of park when you have to.

My 2020 Edge requires that the brake be depressed and held before you can shift out of park. I'm not sure (having not tested this explicitely) but it may also require the brake to be held in order to shift out of Drive as well. Shifting from Drive to Standard (it has paddle shifters for sport driving) works at highway speed.

All passenger car and light duty truck vehicles built after 9/01/2010 required a brake/shifter interlock system that prevented shifting out of park unless the key was on and the brake pedal was depressed. Almost all manufacturers addresed this by installing a solenoid-based lock system in the shift linkage (and did it well before the 9/1/2010 date.).

Sounds like a faulty solenoid.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

After asking around, I have friends that are die hard GM guys. Both guys talked to their trusted mechanics for me and both mechanics came up with a switch on the brake pedal that sends a message to the shifter the brake has been pressed. One of the mechanics insisted using a GM switch. I bought the switch and after watching a you tube video, installed it in about 15 minutes. The parts guy at the GM dealership said he sells quite a few of these switches. Total cost $21,95. On to the next drama!